Need help with thesis. Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the student is researching metacentric height and trying to find a source for a lab experiment. They have found two articles that can help them understand the concept, but they are confused about how to do the experiment.
PrincessIceFall

Homework Statement

So I am currently in my final year working on my thesis. Below is the details of my thesis topic:
Metacentric height (Computational)

It is a simple matter to determine whether a body will float in a liquid, it is not so easy to determine the orientation at which the body will float or the stability of the body in that position. The student undertaking this project will develop a computer program which will determine the metacentric height of a body (a measure of stability of a floating object) made up of a series of basic shapes. Results from the program will be tested against experimental results obtained by testing sample shapes in a water tank.

Homework Equations

So here is the thing. When I try to look up for journals on metacentric height, I don't find anything that is closely related to my topic or is of much help. Any of you know of any journals, books or articles that would be helpful for me? If you could suggest me some books/journals it would be very helpful !

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found these two articles on google that describes a metacentric height lab experiment. However I could not find the source and need a relevant source to actually carry out the experiment. Also the experiment described is a little confusing and I did not completely understand it. If anyone is familiar with a metacentric height experiment then please explain it to me
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to do is search for texts on naval architecture and ship stability.

Some of the basic texts are:

"Principles of Naval Architecture", Vol. 1, the Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers.
"Ship Hydrostatics and Stability", Adrian Biran
"Basic Ship Theory", AJ Rawson and EC Tupper

If you search the internet diligently, you may even find copies of these works available.

One document which is freely available on the internet is the Salvage Engineers Handbook:

http://wetlands.simplyaquatics.com/d/14936-1/sehv1.pdf

The opening chapters give a basic review of ship stability calculations for salvage engineers.

Each of these three references will show how you calculate the basic hydrostatics of floating bodies and determine properties like the location of the metacenter. It sounds like the basic goal of your thesis project is to write a program to calculate the hydrostatic properties of floating objects.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Samiha Samin said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found these two articles on google that describes a metacentric height lab experiment. However I could not find the source and need a relevant source to actually carry out the experiment. Also the experiment described is a little confusing and I did not completely understand it. If anyone is familiar with a metacentric height experiment then please explain it to me[/B]

If you could provide links to these two articles, maybe I could help you understand them.

SteamKing said:
What you need to do is search for texts on naval architecture and ship stability.

Some of the basic texts are:

"Principles of Naval Architecture", Vol. 1, the Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers.
"Ship Hydrostatics and Stability", Adrian Biran
"Basic Ship Theory", AJ Rawson and EC Tupper

If you search the internet diligently, you may even find copies of these works available.

One document which is freely available on the internet is the Salvage Engineers Handbook:

http://wetlands.simplyaquatics.com/d/14936-1/sehv1.pdf

The opening chapters give a basic review of ship stability calculations for salvage engineers.

Each of these three references will show how you calculate the basic hydrostatics of floating bodies and determine properties like the location of the metacenter. It sounds like the basic goal of your thesis project is to write a program to calculate the hydrostatic properties of floating objects.

Good Luck!
Thank you so much. I will definitely look into them

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a thesis in Mechanical Engineering?

A thesis in Mechanical Engineering is a research-based document that presents a new contribution or perspective to the field. It is typically written by a graduate student and serves as a culmination of their academic work.

2. How do I choose a topic for my thesis in Mechanical Engineering?

Choosing a topic for your thesis in Mechanical Engineering involves identifying a specific research question or problem that interests you and aligns with your academic and career goals. It is important to also consider the availability of resources and the feasibility of conducting the research within a given timeframe.

3. What is the typical structure of a thesis in Mechanical Engineering?

The structure of a thesis in Mechanical Engineering may vary depending on the specific program and institution, but it generally includes an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It may also include additional sections such as acknowledgments, appendices, and references.

4. How can I effectively conduct research for my Mechanical Engineering thesis?

To effectively conduct research for your Mechanical Engineering thesis, it is important to have a clear research question and plan, utilize reliable and relevant sources, and properly document your findings. It may also be helpful to consult with your supervisor or other experts in the field for guidance and feedback.

5. What are some common challenges students face when writing a thesis in Mechanical Engineering?

Some common challenges students face when writing a thesis in Mechanical Engineering include time management, balancing coursework and research, staying organized, and managing expectations. It is important to seek support and resources, such as writing centers or peer mentors, to help overcome these challenges and successfully complete your thesis.