What Defines the Properties of All Electromagnetic Radiation?

In summary, the four properties shared by all EM radiation are that they: -travel at the speed of light in space-propagate through the creation of mutually perpendicular electric and magnetic fields-are constant and do not vary with time-have the same frequency and wavelength.
Nitrate

Homework Statement

which are properties of all Electromagnetic radiation
I the travel at the speed of light in space
II they propagate through the creation of mutually perpendicular electric and magnetic fields
III they are constant and do not vary with time
IV they have the same frequency and wavelength

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

solutions:
a) I only
b) I and II
c) I and III
d) I and IV

the only one I am sure about is II
and the only answer that has that is b) but I'm not sure if I is correct
ive also ruled out IV as an answer
any relevant links that can help me out would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nitrate said:

Homework Statement

which are properties of all Electromagnetic radiation
I the travel at the speed of light in space
II they propagate through the creation of mutually perpendicular electric and magnetic fields
III they are constant and do not vary with time
IV they have the same frequency and wavelength

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

solutions:
a) I only
b) I and II
c) I and III
d) I and IV

the only one I am sure about is II
and the only answer that has that is b) but I'm not sure if I is correct
ive also ruled out IV as an answer
any relevant links that can help me out would be appreciated

Note: If you are sure about II, then option b) is the only one that includes it. [I must be correct since it is part of every option]

You've done the usual approach - go with what you know for sure, and if there is only one option that has it, that one must be correct :) But you seem to be unsure of yourself, which suggests you are trying to do this from memory alone.

Memory can be unreliable - so how to check?
How about: by reasoning it out - a good way is to turn the key statements into questions. eg.

Look at each of the four properties supposedly shared by all EM radiation.
If you can come up with one counter-example, then you have ruled out the property.
So:

I: can you come up with any EM radiation that does not travel at the speed of light?
(A=No. And it appears in all the choices - so the question is actually a choice between the other three.)

II: can you find an EM wave that does not have this arrangement of E and M fields?

III: is there any way to have time-varying EM radiation?

IV: can you come up with examples of EM radiation with different wavelengths?

Now you have you answer.

An enormous amount of science is just asking the right questions.

Related to What Defines the Properties of All Electromagnetic Radiation?

1. What is an EMR?

An EMR, or electronic medical record, is a digital version of a patient's paper chart. It contains all of the patient's medical history, diagnoses, treatments, and test results. EMRs are used by healthcare providers to manage and document a patient's care.

2. How is an EMR different from an EHR?

An EHR, or electronic health record, is a more comprehensive version of an EMR. While an EMR contains information from one healthcare provider, an EHR contains information from all of a patient's healthcare providers. EHRs also have the ability to exchange information with other healthcare systems, making it easier for patients to receive coordinated care.

3. How does an EMR improve patient care?

An EMR improves patient care by providing healthcare providers with quick and easy access to a patient's medical history, test results, and treatment plans. This allows for more accurate diagnoses and better coordination of care between different providers. EMRs also reduce the risk of errors due to illegible handwriting and missing information.

4. Is an EMR secure?

Yes, EMRs are designed to be secure and protect patient information. They use advanced security measures, such as encryption and access controls, to keep patient data safe. Additionally, healthcare providers are required to follow strict privacy laws, such as HIPAA, to ensure patient confidentiality.

5. Can patients access their own EMR?

In most cases, patients have the right to access their own EMR. This can be done through a secure patient portal where they can view their medical history and test results. Some EMRs also allow patients to communicate with their healthcare providers and request appointments or prescription refills. However, there may be some restrictions on accessing certain sensitive information, such as mental health records.