Need to find if a sequence of functions has uniform convergence

In summary, we are trying to determine if the sequence of functions f_n = nx/(1+n^2x^2) is uniformly convergent on the interval [0,1]. We first use calculus to find the maximum of each function on this interval, which turns out to be at x=1/n and f_n(1/n) = 1/2. This poses a problem for uniform convergence, as for any given epsilon, there exists an x such that the difference between f_n(x) and f(x) = 0 is greater than epsilon. Therefore, the sequence is not uniformly convergent on [0,1].
natasha d

Homework Statement

f[itex]_{n}[/itex] is is a sequence of functions in R, x[itex]\in[/itex] [0,1]
is f[itex]_{n}[/itex] uniformly convergent?
f = nx/1+n[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

uniform convergence [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]
|f[itex]_{n}[/itex](x) - f(x)| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex] [itex]\forall[/itex] n>= n[itex]_{o}[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex]N

The Attempt at a Solution

lim f[itex]_{n}[/itex] = lim nx/1+n[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 0 if
n→∞ n→∞ x[itex]\in[/itex] [0,1)

= lim (1/n)(1/(n[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex])=1) if x=1
n→∞

=0 as we sub x=1 and then sub the limit as 1/n = 0
hence seq converges to f(x) = 0, proving pointwise convergence

for uniform convergence we'll need a n[itex]_{o}[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex]N independant of x
|f[itex]_{n}[/itex](x) - f(x)|<ε
ie |nx/(1+n[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex]) - 0|<ε

cant seem to manipulate the inequalities for an n

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you try to find the maximum of [itex]f_n(x)=\frac{nx}{1+n^2 x^2}[/itex] on the interval [0,1]. Use calculus.

would that be at x = 1?
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] n/[itex]\epsilon[/itex](1+n[itex]^{2}[/itex])< the required n
n is variable.. i don't get it

natasha d said:
would that be at x = 1?
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] n/[itex]\epsilon[/itex](1+n[itex]^{2}[/itex])< the required n
n is variable.. i don't get it

No, no. Use calculus. We aren't to the epsilon-delta part yet. Take the derivative of f_n and set it equal to zero and try to figure out where the extreme points of the function are. The result will be informative. You want to figure out how your functions are behaving before you start thinking about the proof.

Last edited:
tried differentiation got x=[itex]\sqrt{1/n}[/itex] by equating it to 0
what on Earth does that mean...
anyway how do we know the extremes of each function in the sequence of
functions is defined by the same extreme. Sorry if I am being an idiot.. but i seem to be not understanding something
wait what did you mean by the way the function is behaving?

Last edited:
natasha d said:
tried differentiation got x=[itex]\sqrt{1/n}[/itex] by equating it to 0
what on Earth does that mean...
anyway how do we know the extremes of each function in the sequence of
functions is defined by the same extreme. Sorry if I am being an idiot..

You aren't being an idiot. My only problem with that is when I differentiated I got x=1/n. How did you get x=1/sqrt(n)? Don't give up on this. The answer is actually pretty simple once you get it right. What did you get for a derivative?

natasha d said:
wait what did you mean by the way the function is behaving?

I mean in the sense of being about to sketch a graph of y=f_n(x). f_n doesn't approach 0.

that was a stupid error actually
it came to something like this 1-n[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0
do we overlook the -ve x because of the interval [0,1]?

natasha d said:
that was a stupid error actually
it came to something like this 1-n[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0
do we overlook the -ve x because of the interval [0,1]?

Yes, ignore the negative root. So what's the max of f_n and where does it occur?

now I am lost completely
do you mean f is maximum at some x? for every n?

natasha d said:
now I am lost completely
do you mean f is maximum at some x? for every n?

No, a different x for every n. The max is at x=1/n. What's f_n(1/n)?

is it .. half?
your probably like this right nowhttp://fastfoodies.org/wp-content/uploads/Head-desk-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
natasha d said:
is it .. half?
your probably like this right nowhttp://fastfoodies.org/wp-content/uploads/Head-desk-1.jpg

Yes, f_n(1/n)=1/2. I actually hadn't gotten to that point, but thanks. I knew you'd see it. So you see why that makes a problem for uniform continuity?

Last edited by a moderator:
does this have something to do with the for every ε part?
ie the diff between f[itex]_{n}[/itex](x) = 1/2 and f(1/n) = 0 is greater than some ε (ie ε < 1/2)
i think I've got it
Thank you Dick

Last edited:

Related to Need to find if a sequence of functions has uniform convergence

1. What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence of a sequence of functions where the rate of convergence is the same at every point in the domain. In other words, the functions in the sequence approach the same limit function at the same rate.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

In pointwise convergence, the convergence of the functions in the sequence may vary at different points in the domain. This means that the rate of convergence can be different for different points in the domain. In uniform convergence, the rate of convergence is the same for all points in the domain.

3. How do you determine if a sequence of functions has uniform convergence?

To determine if a sequence of functions has uniform convergence, you need to check if the functions approach the same limit function at the same rate. This can be done by analyzing the difference between each function in the sequence and the limit function.

4. What is the importance of uniform convergence in mathematics?

Uniform convergence is important in mathematics because it allows us to make stronger statements about the behavior of a sequence of functions. It is also a key concept in many areas of analysis, including calculus, differential equations, and Fourier analysis.

5. Can a sequence of functions have both pointwise and uniform convergence?

Yes, a sequence of functions can have both pointwise and uniform convergence. In fact, if a sequence of functions has uniform convergence, it must also have pointwise convergence. However, the opposite is not always true. A sequence of functions can have pointwise convergence without having uniform convergence.