Needing Tips for Electromagnetic Fields Class

In summary, the student is having difficulty with the class and recommends studying more and doing problem sets.
Meadman23
Just posting to ask if anyone has any tips to give for a student in a Junior level Electromagnetic fields class.

We usually get about 10-20 problems/week and I manage to only get 6-7 of them done every time. Also, though I generally do well with it, I'm struggling to find the energy to read through the book since I can't seem to separate what really matters from what's just extended rambling.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is the hardest class, what do you expect? You just need to put in a lot of hours. I studied 3 separate books at three different times, working through a lot of the problems each time and finally get the feel of it.( don't even dare to say I understand it). This is the gateway to microwave and antennas. It's not for the weak of heart.

Just be thankful that you are only slow and not lost! Just burn your midnight oil. I might be slow, I used Cheng and Griffiths. If I get through 3 problems a day ( not just work a little and peak at the solution manual!) with the formulas and equations, it's a good day. Not to discourage you more, being able to solve problems and understanding is two different thing. Solving the problem don't imply you understand at all. One of the chief scientist in Lockheed told me, you want to understand EM, read 15 times!

Last edited:
Meadman23 said:
Just posting to ask if anyone has any tips to give for a student in a Junior level Electromagnetic fields class.

We usually get about 10-20 problems/week and I manage to only get 6-7 of them done every time.

welcome to hell! EM is no joke.
Most likely the following readings will get out of trouble if you have the time to read them through:
-A student's guide to maxwell's equations. (Daniel fleisch)
-Electricity and Magnetism Berkeley Physics course, Vol 2. (Purcell)

introductory books and easy to digest.After these 2 move to any advanced book.

I have a lot of engineering EM books, from the easiest one by Ulaby ( good one) to more difficult ones like Cheng, Hyatt. None really explain EM that well. I believe the reason is they concentrate on engineering and very light on physics. This is one topic that there is no easy way to explain it. No books that I have really explain why, it is particularly bad when those engineering books try to cut short on the fundamental part because it is not as useful for EE. As the result, I really don't feel I understand the topic even after studying Ulaby from front to back, all except one chapter on wave guide in Cheng. I work through all the problems that the solution manual provided...which is a lot.

Finally I got Griffiths "Intro to Electrodynamics" that is for Physics major. It is a difficult book, but it concentrates on the fundamentals...in a difficult way! Then I start to feel a light bulb light up. It is a very difficult book particular in the later chapters like 10 and 11 on retarded potentials etc. It is like studying an advanced course of vector calculus. But that's what it takes to move a step beyond for me.

Correct me if I am wrong, I don't think there is a simple explanation for EM. I believe to the best of my knowledge, Maxwell's equation is an observation, formulas were created around the observation. In fact, the original Maxwell's equations are a little different, the multi variable calculus was created partly to support the Maxwell's observation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dynamical_Theory_of_the_Electromagnetic_Field

It seems like to me that it can only be explained by language of vector calculus. If there is an easy way to study EM, I love to know also. I even stopped after finishing Cheng, spent 8 months studying partial differential equation and Green's function before going onto Griffiths.

No, when the OP said he is just slow, not stuck, he is way ahead in my book! I am old and my memory is failing, but I spent almost 3 hard years studying this on on my own! I study two to three hours a day 5 to 6 days a week. Then I went to the Classical Physics here to ask question. I was studying antenna theory last year before I was side tracked into music electronics. I still plan to conquer "Classical Electrodynamics" By J D Jackson...The Mt. Everest of EM!...If I live long enough.

Last edited:

I understand the challenges of studying electromagnetic fields and I commend you for reaching out for tips. Here are some suggestions that may help you in your class:

1. Start by understanding the basics: Electromagnetic fields can be complex, but it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts. This will make it easier for you to solve problems and grasp more advanced topics.

2. Practice regularly: As with any subject, practice makes perfect. Make sure you are consistently working on problems and practicing the concepts you have learned. This will help you retain the information and improve your problem-solving skills.

3. Seek help when needed: If you are struggling with a particular concept or problem, don't hesitate to seek help from your professor or classmates. They may be able to offer different perspectives or explanations that can help you understand the material better.

4. Use online resources: There are plenty of online resources available that can supplement your textbook and lectures. Look for tutorial videos, interactive simulations, and practice problems to help you better understand the material.

5. Take breaks and prioritize: It is important to take breaks and give yourself time to rest and recharge. Prioritize the problems that are most important and focus on those first. This will help you manage your workload and prevent burnout.

Remember, electromagnetic fields is a challenging subject and it is normal to struggle at times. Don't be too hard on yourself and keep a positive attitude. With dedication and perseverance, you can succeed in this class. Best of luck!

1. What are electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields are a type of physical energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. They are made up of both electric and magnetic components and can exist in various forms, such as radio waves, microwaves, and visible light.

2. Why is understanding electromagnetic fields important?

Understanding electromagnetic fields is important because they play a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, from powering electronic devices to enabling communication through radio and television. They also have practical applications in fields such as medicine, transportation, and energy production.

3. How can I prepare for an electromagnetic fields class?

To prepare for an electromagnetic fields class, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and vector calculus. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of electric and magnetic fields and their properties. Reviewing these concepts and practicing problem-solving can help you feel more confident in the class.

4. What are some common challenges in learning about electromagnetic fields?

Some common challenges in learning about electromagnetic fields include understanding the complex mathematical equations and concepts, visualizing the abstract concepts, and applying them to real-world situations. It is important to practice and seek clarification from the instructor or classmates if you are struggling with any of these challenges.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in an electromagnetic fields class?

Some tips for succeeding in an electromagnetic fields class include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, actively participating in class discussions and problem-solving, practicing problems regularly, and seeking help when needed. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates and utilize online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems.