Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences

In summary, the Nernst equation with pressure differences is being worked with, and the product terms are being omitted due to the assumption of pure reactants. The change in the number of moles, referred to as "delta eta G," is calculated by subtracting the moles of reactants from the moles of products. In the given example of the hydrogen-oxygen reaction, the value for delta eta G is determined to be -1.5, taking into account only gaseous substances. This is similar to the difference between Kp and Kc and how to convert between them.
James Brady
I'm working with the Nernst equation with pressure differences right now:

## E = E_t + \frac{RT}{nF}ln ((P/P_0)^{\Delta \eta_G})##

I'm assuming pure reactants here so, so I'm omitting the product terms: ##\frac{\Pi_{products} x_i ^{\nu_i}}{\Pi_{reactants} x_i ^{\nu_i}}## which would normally also go in the logarithm.

according to my solutions manual:
##\Delta \eta_G = \nu_P - \nu_R##

##\Delta \eta_G## is referred to as "the change in the number of moles" and it looks like the value should be -1.5. However, I'm not sure how they would get that from the stoichiometry of the hydrogen-oxygen reaction:

##H_2 + \frac{1}{2}O_2 = H_2 O##

##1 H_2 O - (1 H_2 + \frac{1}{2}O_2) = -0.5 ## less moles overall. I'm not sure how they got -1.5. I'm not sure what "nu" is for products and reactants and it's real meaning.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is the same problem as the difference between Kp and Kc and how to convert between them. [itex]\Delta \eta_G[/itex] takes into account only gaseous substances, as it is related to the change in volume of the reaction mixture (and water, being liquid with volume orders of magnitude lower, can be safely ignored).

Likes jim mcnamara and James Brady
Ah gotcha, I guess that makes sense now.

What is the Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences?

The Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the concentration and electrical potential of an ion across a semipermeable membrane. It takes into account the effect of pressure differences on the movement of ions.

What factors influence the Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences?

The Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences is influenced by several factors, including the concentration gradient of the ion, the temperature, the valence of the ion, and the gas constant. Additionally, pressure differences also play a significant role in this equation.

How is the Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences used in scientific research?

The Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences is commonly used in scientific research to calculate the equilibrium potential of an ion and to determine the direction and magnitude of ionic movement across a semipermeable membrane. It is also used to study the effects of pressure changes on ion movement.

What are the limitations of the Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences?

The Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences has several limitations. It assumes that the membrane is perfectly semipermeable, which is not always the case. It also does not take into account the effects of other ions or molecules that may be present in the solution. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of membrane thickness or surface charge.

How does the Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences relate to osmosis?

The Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences is closely related to osmosis, as it describes the movement of ions across a semipermeable membrane due to a concentration gradient and pressure differences. Osmosis is the process by which water moves across a semipermeable membrane to balance the concentration of solutes on either side. The Nernst Equation with Pressure Differences can be used to calculate the equilibrium potential of ions involved in osmosis.