Net Electric Field at Point P Due to Fixed Charges

In summary, the problem involves four fixed particles with charges q1 = q2 = 3e, q3 = 7e, and q4 = -28e, and a distance d = 6.7 µm. To find the magnitude of the net electric field at point P due to the particles, one must first find the electric field at point P due to each individual particle, using the formula E = (8.99e9)(q/r^2). Then, the electric fields from each particle can be summed to find the net electric field at point P, taking into account the direction of the electric field as a vector quantity.
nw0rbrolyat

Homework Statement

four particles are fixed in place and have charges q1 = q2 = 3e, q3 = 7e, and q4 = -28e. Distance d = 6.7 µm. What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point P due to the particles?

Homework Equations

Im not sure what form of the magnitude equation to use for this.

Im new to this forum and am always needing Physics help. Thanks to you all!
Taylor

Physics news on Phys.org
nw0rbrolyat said:

Homework Statement

four particles are fixed in place and have charges q1 = q2 = 3e, q3 = 7e, and q4 = -28e. Distance d = 6.7 µm. What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point P due to the particles?

Homework Equations

Im not sure what form of the magnitude equation to use for this.

Im new to this forum and am always needing Physics help. Thanks to you all!
Taylor
Hi and welcome to PF!
Do you know what is the electric field of a single charge?
What you have to do in the problem is to find the electric field at point P due to q1. Then do the same for q2, q3 and q4. At last, sum them all. It will give you the net electric field (which is a vector). Once you have the vector, finding the magnitude shouldn't be hard.
Post your attempt and we might help you if you're stuck.

for q1 the equation I would use is E1=(8.99e9)(3e/(.0067m)^2).
Do I have this setup correctly? I am not quite sure what to do with the e's will an e remain in the answer?

nw0rbrolyat said:
for q1 the equation I would use is E1=(8.99e9)(3e/(.0067m)^2).
Do I have this setup correctly? I am not quite sure what to do with the e's will an e remain in the answer?
I think by e they mean the electric charge of an electron. Isn't [tex]\mu=10^{-6}m[/tex]?
But don't forget that the electric field is a vector and you should always know where it points out.
I don't find the exercise clear. For example, where is P? How are the charges situated?
d is the distance from what to what?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c22/fig22_31.gif
that is the figure they give with the problem. You can see what d is with this. You are probably correct about the meters its been a while since I have worked with SI prefixes.

Sorry for being a bit late. Have you solved the problem? If not, you can set up the x-axis as being the one where q1 and q2 lie and the y-axis the one where q3 and q4 lie.
In post #3 you came up with the good formula, but remember that the electric field is a vector quantity.
So using the formula, the q1 and q2 charges contribute to the E-field at point P only along the x-axis, while q3 and q4 contribute to the E-field at point P only along the y-axis.
Can you take it from there?

1. What is a Net Electric Field?

A Net Electric Field is the combined electric field produced by multiple charges in a given region of space. It is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point.

2. How do you calculate the Net Electric Field?

The Net Electric Field is calculated by adding the individual electric fields produced by each charge at a specific point. This can be done using the formula E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point of interest.

3. Can the Net Electric Field be zero?

Yes, the Net Electric Field can be zero if the individual electric fields produced by the charges cancel each other out. This can happen if there are equal and opposite charges present in the region or if the charges are arranged in a way that their individual electric fields cancel out.

4. What is the difference between the Net Electric Field and Electric Potential?

The Net Electric Field is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point, while Electric Potential is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point. The Net Electric Field is dependent on the charges present in the region, while Electric Potential is dependent on the position and configuration of the charges.

5. How is the Net Electric Field used in practical applications?

The Net Electric Field is used in many practical applications such as designing electrical circuits, determining the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields, and calculating the forces experienced by objects in electric fields. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI and in the development of electronic devices.