Net Force Exerted On A Object?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggles in Physics 1 and a specific problem involving finding the net force exerted on a race car. The solution involves using the given information to determine the acceleration and then using Newton's 2nd law of motion to find the net force. The conversation then shifts to another problem involving a mud ball being dropped and asks for help in finding the average net force exerted on the ground.
cpuboye11
Hi,

I would like to first open this post by saying that I am not a slacker, and I try my hardest to figure things out to the best of my abilities.

I am in Physics 1 right now. We are studying what our book calls Forces in One Dimension.
I have a problem, the problem being I have a chapter test tomorrow and no hope of passing.

One of the problems that seem to hunt me and can't figure out for the life of me is finding out the net force that is exerted on a object; such as this:

A race car has a mass of 710 kg. It starts from rest and travels 40.0 m in 3 secs. The car is uniformly accelerated during the entire time. What net force is exerted on it?

It seem it is a easy problem for most people in Physics but I just can't figure it out. Little help please?

Thanks Kyle

Physics news on Phys.org
Determine the acceleration by means of 3 pieces of information given:

1. The acceleration is uniform, i.e, equal to some constant "a"
2. Its initial velocity is zero
3. It traveled 40 meters in 3 seconds.

Set up the relevant kinematic equation, and solve for "a"

Then find the net force exerted upon the car at any given moment by means of Newton's 2.law of motion.

Thank you for your quick reply.

*Sorry for putting the topic in the wrong spot*

So this is what i understand or it seems,

Vi = 0
Vf = 40**********
a = ?
t = 3
So i did this: 40-0 / 3 = 13.33

Now, maybe I am just being dumb; but don't I just * 13.33 by the Kg's which is 710kg?

And get 9464?

It is not the final velocity that equals 40, don't mix up distance and velocity!

We have that, since the initial velocity is 0, the distance s traveled in t seconds under uniform acceleration "a" is given by:
[tex]s=\frac{a}{2}t^{2}[/tex]
Now, solve for "a", knowing that s=40, t=3.

hi i have a problem and i need you help...
2.0 kg mud ball drops from rest at height ok 15m. If the impact between the ball and the ground lasts 0.50s. what is the average net force exerted by the ball on the ground.
this is the problem. can you help me

1. What is net force exerted on an object?

Net force exerted on an object is the overall force acting on the object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is net force exerted on an object calculated?

Net force exerted on an object is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they are added together. If they are acting in opposite directions, they are subtracted from each other.

3. What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Individual forces are the individual pushes or pulls acting on an object, whereas net force takes into account all of these forces and represents the overall force acting on the object. Net force is also a vector quantity, while individual forces may be scalar or vector.

4. How does net force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, net force is directly proportional to an object's acceleration. This means that the greater the net force exerted on an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Net force can also cause a change in an object's direction of motion.

5. Can an object have a net force of zero?

Yes, an object can have a net force of zero if all the individual forces acting on it cancel each other out. This means that the object will either be at rest or moving at a constant velocity.