Net Force on airplance cabin surface

In summary, we are given the sea level air pressure on a cold day as P0 = 1.013 x 10^5 Pa, and the air pressure at 10.0 km above sea level as 0.30 P0. We are also told that a commercial jet plane maintains the pressure in the passenger and crew section at 0.75 P0 and that the surface area of the cabin structure is 1200 m^2. Using the formula for force as pressure times area, we can calculate the net force on the cabin surface by subtracting the outside pressure from the inside pressure and multiplying the difference by the surface area. This results in a net force of 5.47 x 10^7 Pa.
tbstar

Homework Statement

5. The air pressure at sea level on a cold day is P0 = 1.013 x 105 Pa. At 10.0 km above sea level the air pressure is 0.30 P0 ; however a commercial jet plane keeps the pressure in the passenger and crew section at 0.75 P0 . If the surface area of the cabin structure is 1200 m2 , find the net force on the cabin surface due to the differential of pressure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P net pressure = 0.75 - 0.30 = 0.45 Pa
F=?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi tbstar ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Pressure is defined as force per area.

So force = … ? :smile:

I wanted to understand this solution:

F = P x A = 0.45 x 1.013x10e5 x 1200
F= 5.47 x 10e7

Why we are multiplying the difference pressure between the air and the cabin by the pressure at sea level?

Thanks for the warm welcoming

You can do it in steps if you want.
What is the outward force (caused by the pressure inside the cabin?)
What is the inward force (caused by the pressure outside the cabin?)
What is the net force (mind the direction of the forces, e.g. relative minus signs!)
Do you see why you can take the difference of the pressures to begin with?

Hi tbstar! :smile:

(btw, you can use the X2 tag above the reply box to write e7 :wink:)
tbstar said:
I wanted to understand this solution:

F = P x A = 0.45 x 1.013x10e5 x 1200
F= 5.47 x 10e7

Why we are multiplying the difference pressure between the air and the cabin by the pressure at sea level?

Because the question gave you the pressure as multiples of P0, the sea-level pressure.

This is quite usual … pressure in many situations (particularly where people have to breathe) is measured as multiples of "atmospheric pressure", just as acceleration (of an airplane, for example) is often measured as multiples of g. :smile:

If you do the steps I told you, you will see that the formula for the force is
F = (p2 - p1) x A
where p1 and p2 are the outside and inside pressure, respectively. If you plug in the numbers,
F = (0.75 p0 - 0.30 p0) x A
Now, just as you can write x2 + x = x(x + 1), you can rewrite
(0.75 p0 - 0.30 p0) = (0.75 - 0.30) p0
so
F = (0.75 - 0.30) p0 A

I am so stupid, I didn't even pay attention to the details that's all. But I have been working on physics problems from 5pm to 2pm straight up because I have an exam tomorrow. So thank you very much guys for helping me to understand how stupid I was asking that stupid question.

Cheers

Actually it's a very useful question.
IMO it is far more stupid to learn the formulas by heart without understanding them, real physics is also about grasping the physical concepts (and usually, when you have those right, it's also easier to remember the formulas... or derive them when you forget them).

Basically here, all you have to remember is what pressure is (force per area), then by logical steps you can solve the question (it must be F/A then, so we can write F = p A... what is the outward force, what is the inward force and what is the net force - hey, it's the pressure difference that causes it! That makes sense, otherwise we would also have a force when both the cabin and the ouside air were at sea level pressure p0, for example.). Also, it makes it easier to check your answer (for example: the inside pressure is higher than the outside pressure, so you expect an outward force... does your calculation give that as well?)

1. What is the net force on an airplane cabin surface?

The net force on an airplane cabin surface is the sum of all forces acting on the surface. This includes both external forces, such as air resistance and gravity, and internal forces, such as air pressure and the weight of the cabin.

2. How is the net force on an airplane cabin surface calculated?

The net force on an airplane cabin surface can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration. In this case, the mass is the weight of the cabin, and the acceleration is the change in velocity of the plane.

3. What factors affect the net force on an airplane cabin surface?

The net force on an airplane cabin surface is affected by several factors, including the speed and direction of the plane, the size and shape of the cabin, and the air pressure inside and outside the cabin. Other factors such as turbulence and air density can also impact the net force.

4. How does the net force on an airplane cabin surface affect flight?

The net force on an airplane cabin surface plays a crucial role in flight. It helps to keep the plane in the air by counteracting the force of gravity and allows for changes in speed and direction. The net force also determines the amount of air resistance the plane experiences, which can affect fuel efficiency and flight stability.

5. Can the net force on an airplane cabin surface be changed?

Yes, the net force on an airplane cabin surface can be changed by altering various factors such as the speed and direction of the plane, the air pressure inside the cabin, and the design of the cabin itself. Pilots and engineers use this knowledge to make adjustments and ensure safe and efficient flights.