Solving Network of Resistors: R1, R2, R3 & R4

It is commonly used as a symbol for ohms, the unit of electrical resistance. The circuit described has resistors R1, R2, R3, and R4 with values of 3, 5, 12, and 10 ohms respectively. The question is asking for the current through R1. The circuit is not clearly depicted, so it is suggested to redraw it for better understanding. It is also important to clarify if this is a homework problem or not.
october2118
So i am having trouble figuring out how to approach this problem

A) What is the current through the resistor, R1 in the above circuit?

+ --- _____________R2_________
/..... Joint /
/______R1_________/___________R3/
/
/____________R3_______________/

thats the circuit i have and here are the numbers

R1 = 3 W R2 = 5 W R3 = 12 W R4 = 10 W

whats really throwing me off is that they are in W instead of ohms i didnt know where i should start if i needed to add certian ones together like in a parallel series if i need to use kirchhoffs law.

I just really need some guidance and some explanation on how to do this

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
W is a common substitute for OHMs. So just call them OHMS.

However, there are two R3s and no R4s.
The circuit is illegible. Draw it with Windows Paint. Save it then attach it to a new message.
Rough is OK as long as we can see where the wires go.

Assure us that this isn't homework... :)

W is the Latin transliteration for the Greek letter Omega.

1. What is a network of resistors?

A network of resistors is a circuit that contains multiple resistors connected in different configurations. This can include series, parallel, or a combination of both types of connections.

2. How do you solve a network of resistors?

To solve a network of resistors, you can use principles of Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. This involves calculating the total resistance of the circuit and using voltage and current equations to find the values for each individual resistor.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel connections in a network of resistors?

In a series connection, the resistors are connected end-to-end, creating one continuous path for the current. In a parallel connection, the resistors are connected side-by-side, creating multiple paths for the current to flow. Series connections result in a higher total resistance, while parallel connections result in a lower total resistance.

4. Can you simplify a network of resistors?

Yes, a network of resistors can be simplified using equivalent resistance. This involves replacing multiple resistors with a single resistor that has the same total resistance as the original network. This can make calculations easier and the circuit easier to understand.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving networks of resistors?

Solving networks of resistors is used in various electronic devices and systems, such as in electrical circuits, computer networks, and telecommunications systems. It is also important in understanding and designing more complex circuits, such as power grids and electronic equipment.