Newman projections of meso-2,3-butanediol

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Physics lover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projections
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of meso compounds and how to determine if a molecule is meso. It is mentioned that a meso compound has at least two chiral centers and some form of symmetry, such as a plane or axis of symmetry. The conversation also touches on Newman projections, which are drawings of a molecule from the perspective of looking down a bond axis. It is suggested to try drawing different conformations for each compound in question and to rotate the front group to line up certain atoms. The question of whether one can rotate about a single carbon or both at the same time is also brought up.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Which of the following are Newman projections of meso-2,3-butanediol
Relevant Equations
Newman projection
Fischer projection
The question and options are-:
20200408_094915.png

Ok so what I did was that i converted all of them to their fischer projection.But only P gave me meso-2,3-butanediol.Others were not meso.Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics lover said:
Homework Statement:: Which of the following are Newman projections of meso-2,3-butanediol
Relevant Equations:: Newman projection
Fischer projection

Ok so what I did was that i converted all of them to their fischer projection.But only P gave me meso-2,3-butanediol.Others were not meso.Please help.
This is incorrect, but we'd need to see your work to determine why.

Start by explaining in your own words 1) what a meso compound is, and 2) how to determine whether a compound is meso.

TeethWhitener said:
This is incorrect, but we'd need to see your work to determine why.

Start by explaining in your own words 1) what a meso compound is, and 2) how to determine whether a compound is meso.
ok
As per my knowledge a meso compound is one that has a chiral centre as well as a plane of symmetry or axis of symmetry.
So if a molecule has any kind of symmetry like Plane,axis or centre,it is regarded as meso.

Physics lover said:
ok
As per my knowledge a meso compound is one that has a chiral centre as well as a plane of symmetry or axis of symmetry.
So if a molecule has any kind of symmetry like Plane,axis or centre,it is regarded as meso.
This isn’t quite correct. A meso compound has at least two chiral centers. Your issue in the OP seems to be that you haven’t tried rotating the two centers about their bond. Try drawing out the different configurations of each compound (P, Q, R, S) in a Newman projection.

Likes sysprog
Physics lover said:
ok
How do you decide whether a chiral molecule has also a non-chiral symmetry? A chiralic enantiomer has a resemblance that may loosely be called a symmetry, but it's not really immediately symmetrical -- hint: your hands 'mirror' each other, and if you put them palm to palm and finger to finger, there's a line of symmetry between them ##\dots##

TeethWhitener said:
This isn’t quite correct. A meso compound has at least two chiral centers. Your issue in the OP seems to be that you haven’t tried rotating the two centers about their bond. Try drawing out the different configurations of each compound (P, Q, R, S) in a Newman projection.
I actually don't know much about Newman projections.I think If I rotate the molecule by 60° or 120° or any other multiple of 60° the configuration will remain the same.Am i right?

Physics lover said:
I actually don't know much about Newman projections.I think If I rotate the molecule by 60° or 120° or any other multiple of 60° the configuration will remain the same.Am i right?
Another hint: the word 'surgery' is a contractional reformation of 'chirurgery' -- sometimes which dimension you rotate something in is important -- not by itself as important always is by how many degrees -- I understand people just wanting the answer -- please understand that here on PF part of the mission is that the maestros want the learning -- how else will you become one of the new maestros?

Physics lover said:
Newman projections are drawings of a molecule from the perspective of looking straight down a bond axis. Google provides a number of decent pages with primers on how to draw Newman projections.

I noticed I used “configuration” above when I should have used “conformation.” The conformation is just the arrangement of groups in space relative to one another, without necessarily breaking any bonds. So in a Newman projection, you can rotate either of the axis atoms’ groups by however much you want and you won’t change the compound. With that in mind, try to draw out trans, gauche, staggered, and eclipsed conformations for each compound in OP.

Likes Physics lover and sysprog
Rotate the front group and try to line up the methyls or the hydroxyls. You will see...

Likes Physics lover and sysprog
chemisttree said:
Rotate the front group and try to line up the methyls or the hydroxyls. You will see...
I just wanted to know that can i rotate about a single carbon at a time or i can rotate both of them at a time.I think it's about single at a time.

Think of it as a propeller.

Likes sysprog
Physics lover said:
I just wanted to know that can i rotate about a single carbon at a time or i can rotate both of them at a time.I think it's about single at a time.
You can do either.

Likes sysprog and Physics lover
TeethWhitener said:
You can do either.
ok thanks i got my answer as P and R.I drew the structure of P from Fischer and then rotated it to get R.

Likes chemisttree, TeethWhitener and sysprog
Good work. Incidentally, when you only have two stereocenters, there's another quick and dirty way to solve this problem, provided that you know how to assign R and S absolute configurations: A meso compound will always be (R,S) or (S,R), whereas the chiral stereoisomers will be (R,R) or (S,S).

Likes chemisttree
TeethWhitener said:
Good work. Incidentally, when you only have two stereocenters, there's another quick and dirty way to solve this problem, provided that you know how to assign R and S absolute configurations: A meso compound will always be (R,S) or (S,R), whereas the chiral stereoisomers will be (R,R) or (S,S).
ok But for that i would have to convert the Newman to any other projection as I cannot assign R and S to a Newman projection,Can I?

Of course you can. You need to visualize the chiral carbon center in question and manipulate it in your mind. Molecular models are very helpful support for this.

Likes TeethWhitener

1. What is a Newman projection?

A Newman projection is a way to represent the three-dimensional structure of a molecule on a two-dimensional plane. It shows the bond angles and torsional angles between atoms in a molecule, providing a clear view of the molecule's conformation.

2. What is meso-2,3-butanediol?

Meso-2,3-butanediol is a compound with the chemical formula C4H10O2. It is a type of alcohol that contains two hydroxyl groups (-OH) attached to a four-carbon chain. It is commonly used in the production of solvents and plastics.

3. How is a Newman projection of meso-2,3-butanediol drawn?

A Newman projection of meso-2,3-butanediol is drawn by aligning the carbon-carbon bond connecting the two central carbons in the molecule vertically. The front carbon is represented by a dot, while the back carbon is represented by a circle. The other atoms and bonds in the molecule are then drawn in relation to this central bond.

4. What is the significance of a Newman projection in the study of meso-2,3-butanediol?

A Newman projection is significant in the study of meso-2,3-butanediol because it allows scientists to visualize the conformational changes that the molecule can undergo. By rotating the molecule around the central bond, different conformations can be observed and studied, providing insight into the physical and chemical properties of the compound.

5. How can the Newman projection of meso-2,3-butanediol be used in organic chemistry?

The Newman projection of meso-2,3-butanediol can be used in organic chemistry to analyze the steric hindrance between atoms in different conformations of the molecule. It can also be used to predict the reactivity of different parts of the molecule and to understand the stability of different conformations. Additionally, it can aid in the design and synthesis of new compounds with similar structures.