1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's 3 Laws Lab

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    I am doing a lab report for a lab I did in class. The lab is about sliding a mass (in this case a book) down an inclined plane. I collected the data and calculated the acceleration for the mass if it fall at 90 degrees. I have to do an analysis but I having some trouble answering these questions.

1. When I found the acceleration for the mass when it slides down at a 90 degree angle to be 16.9 m/s2. The acceleration of gravity of is 9.8 m/s2. So why isn't this the value of 9.8 m/s2? Is it because 16.9 m/s2 is the weight?

2. How do I find net force on a mass on an inclined plane? I'm pretty sure I have to use Newton's 2nd Law equation: F = ma. But do I use 9.8 m/s2 or 16.9 m/s2 for a?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    Clearly the acceleration can't be 16.9m/s^2. Could you please post your measurement data and the equations used to obtain this value? They must contain an error somewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?