1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons Law / Kinematic problem?

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    Hello, the question I'm having trouble with is:

"A 8.00kg block of ice, released from rest at the top of a 1.5 m long frictionless ramp, slides downhill, reaching a speed of 2.5 m/s at the bottom.
    What is the angle between the ramp and the horizontal?"

My first attempt to solve this problem was that I would use kinematics to get the acceleration. And then use the acceleration and newton's laws to find the angle. By using kinematics I got the equation 2.5^2 = 0 + 2(a)(1.5)
    I then got a to be 1.64. Using that I set the equation 8gsin(theta) = 1.64(8). Eventually getting theta to equal 9.6 degrees. But when I compared my answer to the a fellow classmate He got 12.275, but I can't really follow his work and theres no answer in the back of the book, so can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since there is no friction, it may be easier to consider this problem as a conservation of energy problem.

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    We have not gotten to energy yet in my class :(. This is the third chapter all we have done is kinematics, projectile motion, and now this.

5. Nov 15, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've just looked through your work and it appears it's just your arithmetic that's letting you down. Your kinematic equation is correct, but your value for acceleration is not; try solving for acceleration again.

6. Nov 15, 2006 #5
    Ah jeez I'm so dumb thanks alot! I just have sloppy hand writting so I turned the 1.5 into a 1.9 which gave me the wrong answer thanks alot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?