1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons Law

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block pushed along the floor with velocity V0 slides a distance D after the pushing force is removed.

If the mass of the block is doubled but its initial velocity is not changed, what distance does the block slide before stopping? Express your answer in terms of D.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

My only problem with this question, is that I simply dont know how to relate force, velocity and distance into an equation. Ive tried rearranging newtons, but I can seem to get the right ratio. Thanks for you time.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2
    Here's my take- when you stop pushing the block it will SLOW DOWN (this is acceleration, just negative).

F=ma

So what are you constants 1?

What is your variable?

what level are you at? is friction involved in the problem, or did you type the whole thing?

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    There is no friction invloved. What i typed, is exactly, and everything the problems gives. Their not looking for a numerical answer. Something like 0.5d or 0.25d or something.

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4
    ok, so assume F stays the same you can set up 2 equations- what would they look like ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?