Solve Mass of Dog Food Given Force, Acceleration, Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula x=vt+1/2at^2 and how it can be rearranged to find acceleration (a=2x/t^2). The final result of 8.80kg is determined as the mass of the dog food added to the cart.
Pencil
At the local grocery store, you push a 15.2 kg shopping cart. You stop for a moment to add a bag of dog food to your cart. With a force of 12.0 N, you accelerate the cart from rest through a distance of 2.24 m in 3.00 s. What was the mass of the dog food?
F=ma m=f/a
I rearranged x(f)=x(i)+v(i)+1/2at^2 to be a=(1/2t^2)/x
so,
1/2(3)^2/2.24= 2.01 m/s^2.

m=f/a
m=12.0/2.01=5.97kg.
This defenately looks wrong. How can the cart's mass of decreased? I'm confused what did I do wrong?
I tried 15.2-5.97 and that was also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pencil said:
I rearranged x(f)=x(i)+v(i)+1/2at^2 to be a=(1/2t^2)/x

The only thing i regognise there is 1/2at^2.
This wudv worked:

Pencil said:
I rearranged x = vt +1/2at^2 to be a= 2x/t^2

awsome, got it. 8.80kg. I don't know how i mess these up. What are the steps you use to convert x = vt +1/2at^2 to a= 2x/t^2? thanks for your help.

Pencil said:
awsome, got it. 8.80kg. I don't know how i mess these up. What are the steps you use to convert x = vt +1/2at^2 to a= 2x/t^2? thanks for your help.
Initial velocity was 0.

Multiply both sides by 2 to get rid of the 1/2.

Divide both sides by t^2 to isolate your a.

1. What is the formula for calculating mass of dog food given force, acceleration, and time?

The formula for calculating mass of dog food is m = F/a, where m is the mass in kilograms (kg), F is the force in newtons (N), and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. Can the mass of dog food be calculated if the force and acceleration are not provided?

No, the mass of dog food cannot be calculated without knowing both the force and acceleration. These two variables are necessary to use the formula m = F/a to find the mass.

3. How does the time factor into the calculation of mass of dog food?

The time does not directly affect the calculation of mass of dog food. It is only used to determine the acceleration (a = F/m) if the force and mass are known, or to determine the force (F = ma) if the mass and acceleration are known.

4. Is there a specific unit for mass of dog food?

Yes, the unit for mass is kilograms (kg). This unit is commonly used in scientific calculations and is the standard unit of measurement for mass in the International System of Units (SI).

5. Can this formula be applied to other objects besides dog food?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any object as long as the force, acceleration, and mass are known. It is commonly used in physics to calculate the mass of various objects, such as vehicles, projectiles, and animals.