Proving Acceleration of A ≤ Acceleration of B

In summary, the two masses, MA = 1 kg and MB = 2 kg are connected by a massless spring. A force of 4 N acts on the 2 kg mass. Assuming that the spring is stretchable, we can solve for the net force on the system by taking the difference between the two equations. The net force on the system is 2-kx/3, which is negative. This tells us that it is not necessary that the acceleration of A always be less or equal to the acceleration of B.
rohitarura

Homework Statement

Question :
two masses MA = 1 kg and MB = 2 kg are connected by a massless spring as shown in figure. A force of 4 N acts on the 2 kg mass.
http://www.vidyamandir.com//displayImageServlet?appletImgId=8a7b221f1fcc7894011ff9cccfe412f0 Is it necessary that the acceleration of A always be less or equal to the acceleration of B?
If yes,then prove it...If no then also prove it,please.
2. The attempt at a solution
I thought this way..Working in centre of mass's frame,both blocks seem to oscillate about it.So,at some instant both will have same accelerations w.r.t. Centre of mass then, using pseudo force concept the net acc. of the block be will get greater than that of block A..
Correct me if i am wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

What forces act on A? On B?

Only one force acts and that on B only.

rohitarura said:
Only one force acts and that on B only.
There's only one external force acting on the two-block system, but to find the acceleration of each block consider each block separately.

What forces act on each? Compare the expressions for the net force on each, then see if you can draw any conclusions.

But, the forces on each keep varying??

We can have the equations,
4-kx=2aB
kx=aA

k being the unknown spring constant,and x is extension in it..

If we can prove,
a(B)-a(A)=2-kx/3 can be negative then its done...

If you are considering block B alone, why do you have twice the mass of B?

rohitarura said:
But, the forces on each keep varying??
Right, the spring force can be almost anything. That's the key.

We can have the equations,
4-kx=2aB
kx=aA
OK. So then:
aB = 2 -kx/2
aA = kx

Can you think of a value of kx that makes aA > aB ?

Ya, kx=1N?

So, what does this imply?

rohitarura said:
Ya, kx=1N?
No, that value makes aB = 3/2 & aA = 1. Choose another. (What value would make aB = 0?)

Earlier i accidentally took its opposite

Taking,kx=4N,will make it..

rohitarura said:
Taking,kx=4N,will make it..
OK. So what does that tell you?

It tells that it is not necessary that the acceleration of A always be less or equal to the acceleration of B...But my fellows says the opposite?He says if 1 force is pulling such a system then acc. of the block A can't be greater than that of the block on which the force is applied i.e.,block B??

rohitarura said:
It tells that it is not necessary that the acceleration of A always be less or equal to the acceleration of B...
OK.
But my fellows says the opposite?He says if 1 force is pulling such a system then acc. of the block A can't be greater than that of the block on which the force is applied i.e.,block B??
Ask him why he thinks that.

No information is given about how much the spring is stretched, so nothing stops us from imagining a situation where the stretch is as much as we like.

Thank you very very much Sir.I'm very satisfied with your valuable views...Thanks

1. What is the meaning of "Proving Acceleration of A ≤ Acceleration of B?"

"Proving Acceleration of A ≤ Acceleration of B" refers to demonstrating that the rate of change of velocity (acceleration) of object A is equal to or less than the acceleration of object B. In simpler terms, it means showing that one object is either moving at the same speed or slower than another object.

2. Why is it important to prove that acceleration of A is less than or equal to the acceleration of B?

It is important to prove this because it provides evidence for the relationship between the velocities of two objects. This relationship can be crucial in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and transportation. It also allows for better understanding and prediction of the movements of objects.

3. How can one prove that acceleration of A is less than or equal to the acceleration of B?

To prove this, one can use mathematical equations and formulas to calculate the acceleration values of both objects. Another way is to conduct experiments and gather data on the velocities and accelerations of both objects. The data can then be analyzed to determine the relationship between the two.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of objects A and B?

The acceleration of objects A and B can be affected by various factors, such as the mass of the objects, the force applied to them, and the surface they are moving on. Other factors include air resistance, friction, and the shape and size of the objects.

5. Can the acceleration of A ever be greater than the acceleration of B?

No, it is not possible for the acceleration of A to be greater than the acceleration of B if both objects are moving in the same direction. This is because the acceleration of an object is directly related to its velocity, and if the velocity of A is greater than B, its acceleration would also be greater. However, if the objects are moving in opposite directions, the acceleration of A can be greater than B as it would be moving in the opposite direction of its velocity.