Magnitude of Kinetic Frictional Force on Fireman Sliding Down Pole

In summary, the fireman slides down a pole at a speed of 1.79 m/s and experiences a frictional force of 940.8 N when he lands.
lalalah
The alarm at a fire station rings and a 96.0-kg fireman, starting from rest, slides down a pole to the floor below (a distance of 3.55 m). Just before landing, his speed is 1.79 m/s. What is the magnitude of the kinetic frictional force exerted on the fireman as he slides down the pole?

Relevant equations:
I'm not sure, but I believe this has something to do with Newton's second law of motion? So this may be helpful {[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fnet }/mass = acceleration , although I couldn't see a way to use it myself

I mainly used: y = (v2y - v2oy)/(2ay), where ay can be substituted with ay= (-fk)/mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Sooo, my messy and essentially incorrect attempt:

y = -3.55 m
v0 = 0 m/s
voy = 1.79 m/s
mass = 96.0 kg

using the equation for the y-displacement, I attempted to find fk:

-3.55 m = (1.792 - 0 m/s) / (2(-fk)/96kg)

multiplying both sides by -(2/96) fk ----> .07396 fk = 1.79^2

fk = 43.3 N

if someone could point me in the right direction i would be terribly grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org

Solve this in two stages. First find the acceleration, using the kinematic formula that you stated. Then apply Newton's 2nd law to find the unknown friction force. What forces act on the fireman?

i found the acceleration to be -.04512, but I'm confused right now about [tex]\Sigma[tex]
Fy and -fk.

if [tex]\Sigma[tex]
Fy = ma_y and a_y = -fk/mass, then are these two force values the same?

lalalah said:
i found the acceleration to be -.04512,
Recheck that calculation. (Pay attention to the decimal point.)

When using [itex]\Sigma F = m a[/itex], [itex]\Sigma F[/itex] represents the net force on the man. What forces act on the man?

he is being acted on by a friction force from the pole... which is slowing down his acceleration

oh sorry! i meant to type -0.4512 m/s^2!

in that case, would it be correct of me to say that the net force and not the kinetic frictional force is 43.3 N ?

forces which act on the man:
gravity, kinetic frictional force

lalalah said:
he is being acted on by a friction force from the pole... which is slowing down his acceleration
Good. That's one of the forces acting on him. What's the other?

lalalah said:
oh sorry! i meant to type -0.4512 m/s^2!
Good. (I assume you made it negative to indicate that the acceleration acts down.)

in that case, would it be correct of me to say that the net force and not the kinetic frictional force is 43.3 N ?
Correct.

lalalah said:
forces which act on the man:
gravity, kinetic frictional force
Good!

Now write an equation. Add up the forces to find the net force (direction counts!) and set it equal to "ma".

So, Fnet = -W + f_k = ma = 43.3 N?

= -(mg) + f_k = ma = 43.3 N
= -(96 kg)((9.8 m/s) + f_k = 43.3 N
= f_k = 940.8 N

does this look right? it doesn't seem right to me...

lalalah said:
So, Fnet = -W + f_k = ma = 43.3 N?
Careful with signs. Which way does the net force point?

downward.
so, would it be
Fnet = -W + f_k = ma = -43.3 N?

so... f_k = (96 kg)(9.8 m/s) -43.3 N

and f_k = 897.5 N ?

i hope its right :x

Looks good.

hoorayy~! and yet i would never have expected the number to come out so big... thank you for your help!

1. What is the magnitude of kinetic frictional force on a fireman sliding down a pole?

The magnitude of kinetic frictional force on a fireman sliding down a pole depends on various factors such as the weight of the fireman, the material of the pole, and the speed at which the fireman is sliding. It can be calculated using the formula F = μkN, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force.

2. How does the weight of the fireman affect the magnitude of kinetic frictional force?

The weight of the fireman affects the magnitude of kinetic frictional force as it determines the normal force acting on the pole. The greater the weight of the fireman, the greater the normal force and hence, the greater the frictional force. This means that a heavier fireman will experience more resistance while sliding down the pole.

3. Is the magnitude of kinetic frictional force constant for all materials of the pole?

No, the magnitude of kinetic frictional force is not constant for all materials of the pole. It depends on the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is different for different materials. For example, a metal pole will have a different coefficient of kinetic friction compared to a wooden pole, resulting in different magnitudes of frictional force.

4. Does the speed at which the fireman slides down the pole affect the magnitude of kinetic frictional force?

Yes, the speed at which the fireman slides down the pole does affect the magnitude of kinetic frictional force. As the speed increases, so does the frictional force. This is because a higher speed means a greater force is required to overcome the resistance of friction and maintain the same speed.

5. Can the magnitude of kinetic frictional force be reduced to make it easier for the fireman to slide down the pole?

Yes, the magnitude of kinetic frictional force can be reduced to make it easier for the fireman to slide down the pole. This can be achieved by reducing the coefficient of kinetic friction, for example, by using a lubricant on the pole. Additionally, reducing the weight of the fireman or increasing their speed can also decrease the magnitude of frictional force.