Newton's Second Law Particle Problem

In summary, the particle is moving at a constant velocity, meaning there is no net force acting on it. One of the forces, F1 = (2N)i + (-6N)j, is given. Therefore, the other force would be the same in magnitude and opposite in direction, or (-2N)i + (6N)j.
Seraph404

Homework Statement

While two forces act on it, a particle is to move at the constant velocity v = (3 m/s)i - (4 m/s)j. One of the forces is F1 = (2N)i + (-6N)j. What is the other force?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm really just wanting a hint. I know that the acceleration is zero because the velocity is constant. So how do I use velocity to find the second force? Surely I'm missing something fundamental here. Once again, just a hint would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seraph404 said:

Homework Statement

While two forces act on it, a particle is to move at the constant velocity v = (3 m/s)i - (4 m/s)j. One of the forces is F1 = (2N)i + (-6N)j. What is the other force?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm really just wanting a hint. I know that the acceleration is zero because the velocity is constant. So how do I use velocity to find the second force? Surely I'm missing something fundamental here. Once again, just a hint would be nice.
You pretty much gave yourself a hint when you said that there is no net force. Since one of the two forces are given, what's the other one?

PhanthomJay said:
You pretty much gave yourself a hint when you said that there is no net force. Since one of the two forces are given, what's the other one?

(-2N)i + (6N)j ?

Seraph404 said:
(-2N)i + (6N)j ?
Correct! (the answer would be the same regardless of the value of the constant velocity).

Oh okay! Thanks!

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What is a particle problem?

A particle problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of a single object, or particle, under the influence of various forces.

3. How do you solve a Newton's Second Law particle problem?

To solve a Newton's Second Law particle problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use the formula F = ma to calculate the acceleration of the object. Finally, use kinematic equations to solve for any other unknown quantities such as velocity or displacement.

4. What is the significance of Newton's Second Law particle problem in physics?

Newton's Second Law particle problem is significant in physics because it is the basis for understanding the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It allows us to predict the motion of objects and understand the underlying principles of the physical world.

5. Can Newton's Second Law be applied to objects of any size or mass?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to objects of any size or mass, as long as the object is considered a particle and its motion can be analyzed. However, this law is most accurate for objects with negligible size and mass compared to the forces acting on them.