Newtons 2nd Law: F=ma Along x,y or z Direction

In summary, when applying the equation F=ma along a specific direction, the direction of acceleration must also be taken into consideration as it is a vector quantity. In the given example, with 2 forces of 5 N and 3 N applied on a 2 kg body, the net force is -2 N, causing the body to accelerate to the left with a magnitude of -1 m/s^2. The confusion arises when considering the direction of acceleration in the second equation, F=ma, as it should be negative if the force is negative in that direction. However, in the case of a hanging block moving down, the equation T-mg=-ma is used, where the acceleration is taken as negative even though the force
sweet-buds

Homework Statement

F=ma can be written as F=ma(along x, y or z-direction, )

when applying this equation along say horizontal x direction, the direction of acceleration needs to be taken as it is a vector.

i mean say 2 forces of 5 N and 3 N are applied on a 2 kg body that moves towards left as 5 N is applied towards left and 3N towards right. Now

According to me ,
5-3=2(-a)
= 2=-2a
=-1 m/s^2=a

this -1 indicates that accn is towards left.

I am confused with the idea should eqn be 5-3 = -2a or 5-3 =2a. i would go with the former one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming right to be positive and left to be negative, and the set-up as such:

3 N ----> [2kg] <---- 5 N

Then we have F_net = m*a = 3 N + (-5 N) = - 2 N. You have a net force of 2 N in the negative direction (meaning it will be pushed to the left). Since -2 N = m*a and m = 2 kg, then we have -1 m/s^2. Since this is negative, once again, the body will accelerate to the left.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:
how is that possible? I would say since the 5N force is greater so the F_net=3-5
=-2 N, a force that act towards left. Now, -2=m*(-a)=>-2=2*(-a)=>1=a, as I pressume the body will move towards left due to net -2 N force and since acceleration is towards left, I have used a - ve sign before a.

My confusion arises in the second equation , F=ma where F is the net force acting on the body and let's say the force is in negative horizontal or vertical
direction, arent we suppose to assume the direction of acceleration also negative as acceleration is vector.

Ack! I am terribly sorry - I made a sign error when I added 3 and -5. You are correct! I edited the post with the necessary changes.
You are also correct when you say "he force is in negative horizontal or vertical
direction, arent we suppose to assume the direction of acceleration also negative as acceleration is vector."

help me urgent: Newton's 2nd law

You are also correct when you say "he force is in negative horizontal or vertical
direction, arent we suppose to assume the direction of acceleration also negative as acceleration is vector."[/QUOTE]

i got this problem in Haliday. There are 2 blocks connected by a rope. onr of the blocks is a sliding one and the other is a hanging one and the rope passes over a pulley and the pulley is connected at the edge of the table/surface. The sliding block moves towards the right and the hanging block down. Haliday has applied the Newtons second law to the two blocks.

The sliding block has mass M and hanging block a mass of m. haliday has said the the equation for hanging block is T-mg =-ma. i understand the fact that the hanging block is moving down in -ve y directio, that's why a istaken -ve here but doesn't that mean that mg>T for hanging block to move down. I mean shouldn't the equation be mg-T=-ma?

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the force acting on an object is directly proportional to the mass of the object and its acceleration. It can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How is Newton's second law applied in the x, y, and z directions?

Newton's second law can be applied in any direction, including the x, y, and z directions. The equation F=ma can be broken down into its components to determine the force in each direction. For example, in the x direction, the equation becomes Fx=ma, where Fx is the force in the x direction, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration in the x direction.

3. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in Newton's second law?

The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in Newton's second law is that force is directly proportional to both mass and acceleration. This means that as the mass or acceleration increases, the force also increases.

4. Can Newton's second law be applied to objects at rest?

No, Newton's second law only applies to objects that are in motion. If an object is at rest, the net force acting on it is zero, so there is no acceleration. Therefore, the equation F=ma cannot be applied.

5. What is an example of Newton's second law in real life?

One example of Newton's second law in real life is pushing a shopping cart. The force you apply to the cart (F) is directly proportional to the mass of the cart (m) and the acceleration it experiences (a). The heavier the cart or the faster you push it, the more force is needed to move it. This is why it may be more difficult to push a heavy cart or to accelerate it quickly.