Proving No Positive Integer Solutions for 1/x^2 + 1/xy + 1/y^2 = 1

In summary, the equation \frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{1}{xy} + \frac{1}{y^2} = 1 cannot be true for any positive integers x and y. This can be proven by rearranging the equation and showing that it leads to a contradiction, or by considering the product of consecutive integers and showing that it cannot result in a square number. Therefore, there are no positive integers x and y that satisfy the given equation.
recon
Prove that there are no positive integers x & y such that

[tex]\frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{1}{xy} + \frac{1}{y^2} = 1 [/tex].

I really have no idea where to start. I tried rearranging the equation, but I could not see anything useful in any of the rearrangements.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{1}{xy} + \frac{1}{y^2} = 1[/tex]

[tex] \Longleftrightarrow x^2 + xy + y^2 = x^2y^2[/tex]

[tex]\Longleftrightarrow x^2 + 2xy + y^2 = (x+y)^2 = x^2y^2 + xy =xy(xy+1) [/tex]

ie. it implies

[tex](x+y)^2 = xy(xy+1)[/tex]

see a contradiction? :smile:

*smacks head*

Of course, consecutive numbers cannot be squares.

Right, products of consecutive positive integers can't be squares (I assume that's what you meant~). See an easy proof of that?

Oh yeah, I phrased it wrongly. :redface:

An easy proof? No, I can't find an EASY one, but this is the best I can do:

a-1, a and a+1 are consecutive integers.

[tex](a - 1)^2 = a^2 - 2a + 1[/tex]
[tex](a + 1)^2 = a^2 + 2a + 1[/tex]

a^2 - a and this is bigger than a^2 - 2a + 1 but smaller than a^2 + 2a + 1, since there is only square number between these two boundaries, a^2, this means that a * (a - 1) cannot be a square number.

The same reasoning, when applied to a * (a + 1), and using a + 2 reveals that it can't be a square number too.

Last edited:
I can't see most of that post right now, and I'm too tired to think at the moment :smile:

I'll check back in the morning~

[tex](x+y)^2 = xy(xy+1)[/tex]
can be a square number if x=y=0.
[tex]a=xy(xy+1)[/tex], i.e.[tex]a=z(z+1)[/tex]
So, if a is in this form, it can be a square number.
However, referring to the case, x cannot be 0 and y cannot be 0 neither.

Yep, if one of them is zero it's okay. As you mentioned, in this case both of them are positive (ie. nonzero), though.

Your proof is fine, recon, though you can make it simpler:

If [itex]a>0[/itex] then

[tex]a^2 \leq a^2 + a = a(a+1) \leq a^2 + 2a + 1 = (a+1)^2[/tex]

so if [itex]a(a+1) = b^2[/itex] then [itex]a<b<a+1[/itex], but there's no integer satisfying this if [itex]a[/itex] is an integer.

1. What is the first step in starting a project?

The first step in starting any project is to clearly define your goals and objectives. This will help you stay focused and determine what steps need to be taken to achieve your desired outcome.

2. How do I come up with ideas for my project?

Brainstorming is a great way to generate ideas for your project. You can also do research, talk to experts in the field, or seek inspiration from other projects.

3. How do I break down a project into smaller, manageable tasks?

One approach is to use the SMART framework, which stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. This will help you break down your project into smaller, actionable tasks that will lead you towards your end goal.

4. How do I prioritize tasks in my project?

Prioritizing tasks is important to ensure that you are working on the most important and urgent tasks first. You can use techniques like the Eisenhower Matrix or the ABCDE method to help you prioritize tasks based on their importance and urgency.

5. How do I stay organized and on track during a project?

There are many tools and techniques you can use to stay organized and on track during a project. Some popular options include using project management software, creating a timeline or Gantt chart, and regularly reviewing and updating your progress.