1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonconservative work while swimming

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Starting at rest at the edge of a swimming pool, a 67.0 athlete swims along the surface of the water and reaches a speed of 1.15 by doing the work = 171 . Find the nonconservative work, , done by the water on the athlete.

2. Relevant equations

(m)(a)(x initial) + .5 (m)(v^2 initial) = (m)(a)(x final) + .5 (m)(v^2 final)
    E=UK
    W=Fd
    F=ma
    K=.5 mv^2
    3. The attempt at a solution

Im not really sure how to tackle this problem those are the equations i think i need to use but should it go something like

K=.5(67kg)(1.15m/s^2) so K=44.3
    E=UK (U being the work?) E= (171)(44.3) E=7575.3

i dont know what im doin i need some help that'd be great

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    sorry i wrote that down wrong but your saying i want to use W=Delta Ek ? how do i go about that tho? by using K=.5 mv^2?

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4
    Think again about the physics... NOT just equations!
    You're swimming. You use some chemical energy to do that: how much?

Then: what do you get out of it?

Then: As the problem asks for: Did you get everything out of it that you could have if the situation worked perfect for you? If not: what did you lose in the process?

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5
    yes so while swimming my conservative energy would be 77.05 and in a nonconservative force im losing some of that energy due to the friction and the heat that im giving off etc. to solve for this equation do i need to find the distance i have swam ? i understand why it happend just now how to calculate the lose

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?