Nonconservative work while swimming

In summary, the problem involves an athlete swimming at a constant speed and the goal is to find the nonconservative work done by the water on the athlete. The equations needed are the work-energy theorem and the conservation of energy formula. The swimmer uses chemical energy, but some of it is lost due to friction and heat. To solve the problem, the distance swam needs to be determined in order to calculate the loss of energy due to friction.
flemj

Homework Statement

Starting at rest at the edge of a swimming pool, a 67.0 athlete swims along the surface of the water and reaches a speed of 1.15 by doing the work = 171 . Find the nonconservative work, , done by the water on the athlete.

Homework Equations

(m)(a)(x initial) + .5 (m)(v^2 initial) = (m)(a)(x final) + .5 (m)(v^2 final)
E=UK
W=Fd
F=ma
K=.5 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not really sure how to tackle this problem those are the equations i think i need to use but should it go something like

K=.5(67kg)(1.15m/s^2) so K=44.3
E=UK (U being the work?) E= (171)(44.3) E=7575.3

i don't know what I am doing i need some help that'd be great

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
flemj said:
E=UK

You have an error in your equation: E=UK. It would normally be: E = U + K

The equation is meant to demonstration conservation of energy: Energy equals potential energy plus kinetic. U is typically potential energy, which is usually a conservative form of energy because potential is gravitational or electrical potential energy... or maybe elastic potential too (in frictionless springs).

What you really want is something called the "work-energy theorem"... and even better form of conservation of energy, because now you could put work in (ex. chemical reactions like those in your own body converting chemical energy, or energy in the form of electrical bond in chemicals, to usable forms) or take work out (ex. lost of energy to heat (kinetic energy in microscopic particles like molecules or atoms).. look up that.

sorry i wrote that down wrong but your saying i want to use W=Delta Ek ? how do i go about that tho? by using K=.5 mv^2?

flemj said:
sorry i wrote that down wrong but your saying i want to use W=Delta Ek ? how do i go about that tho? by using K=.5 mv^2?

Think again about the physics... NOT just equations!
You're swimming. You use some chemical energy to do that: how much?

Then: what do you get out of it?

Then: As the problem asks for: Did you get everything out of it that you could have if the situation worked perfect for you? If not: what did you lose in the process?

physics girl phd said:
Think again about the physics... NOT just equations!
You're swimming. You use some chemical energy to do that: how much?

Then: what do you get out of it?

Then: As the problem asks for: Did you get everything out of it that you could have if the situation worked perfect for you? If not: what did you lose in the process?

yes so while swimming my conservative energy would be 77.05 and in a nonconservative force I am losing some of that energy due to the friction and the heat that I am giving off etc. to solve for this equation do i need to find the distance i have swam ? i understand why it happened just now how to calculate the lose

1. What is nonconservative work while swimming?

Nonconservative work while swimming refers to the energy expended by a swimmer against the resistance of the water. This type of work is not considered to be conservative because the energy is not conserved and is instead dissipated in the form of heat and turbulence.

2. How is nonconservative work calculated while swimming?

The nonconservative work done by a swimmer can be calculated using the formula W = F * d, where W is the work done, F is the force exerted by the swimmer, and d is the distance the swimmer has traveled against the resistance of the water.

3. Why is nonconservative work important in swimming?

Nonconservative work is important in swimming because it directly affects a swimmer's performance and overall efficiency in the water. The more work a swimmer must do against the resistance of the water, the more energy they will expend and the slower their performance will be.

4. How does the body use energy to do nonconservative work while swimming?

The body uses energy from food and oxygen to fuel the muscles that propel a swimmer through the water and do nonconservative work against the resistance. This energy is converted into mechanical energy through muscle contractions, and some of it is dissipated as heat and turbulence in the water.

5. Can nonconservative work be reduced while swimming?

Yes, nonconservative work can be reduced while swimming by improving technique and reducing drag in the water. This can be achieved through proper body positioning, streamlined movements, and the use of equipment such as swim caps and low-drag swimsuits. Additionally, building strength and endurance can also help reduce the amount of nonconservative work required while swimming.