Normal force on the landing gear when the airplane lands

In summary, a 25,000 kg airplane landing at a speed of 72 m/s with a compression of 0.92 m and an angle of 5° will experience a normal force of 664,750 N on its landing gear. This can be calculated using the equation Fn = m*a, where a = (vf^2 - vi^2)/2*dy and dy = -0.92. The change in kinetic energy and potential energy of the plane can also be taken into account to further understand the work done by the force over the given vertical distance.
Wapapow10

Homework Statement

An airplane of mass 25,000 kg (approximately the size of a Boeing 737) is coming in for a landing at a speed of 72 m/s. Calculate the normal force on the landing gear when the airplane lands. Hint: You will use 0.92 m as the compression (vertical displacement) of the landing gear shock absorbers when the plane contacts the ground and 5° as the angle that the landing velocity makes with the horizontal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

plane N 9.8*25000=245000N
a=vf^2-vi^2/2*-.92=36.31m/s
Fn=245000=25000*36.31=664750N*******
dy=-.92
viy=-6.27
vfy=0
a=36.39

Not sure what I am doing wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the landing gear first touches the ground, what is the normal velocity? What is the normal kinetic energy? Can you somehow equate that energy with the work the force does as it travels over the 0.92m?

I thought that's why I did 0-6.7^2/2*9.2
44.89/1.8=24.93

sorry I had to I was mixing numbers from another question.

I can't figure out your numbers since you didn't define where they came from.

I should have added that in addition to the change in kinetic energy of the plane at the beginning and at the end of the 0.92m descent, there is also a loss of potential energy. Both are reduced by the action of the force over the given vertical distance.

Last edited:
, but your attempt at a solution is incorrect. You have correctly calculated the weight of the airplane (245,000 N) and the vertical displacement of the landing gear (0.92 m). However, the acceleration you have calculated (36.31 m/s^2) is incorrect. The correct acceleration should be calculated using the landing velocity (72 m/s) and the angle of descent (5°). This can be done using trigonometry to find the vertical component of the landing velocity, which is the acceleration due to the normal force. Once you have the correct acceleration, you can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the normal force on the landing gear. Your final answer should be approximately 1,261,115 N.

Related to Normal force on the landing gear when the airplane lands

1. What is the normal force on the landing gear when an airplane lands?

The normal force on the landing gear is the force exerted by the ground on the airplane's wheels when it touches down during landing. This force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the weight of the airplane, and it helps to support the weight of the aircraft during landing.

2. How is the normal force on the landing gear calculated?

The normal force on the landing gear can be calculated using the formula F = m * g, where F is the normal force, m is the mass of the airplane, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula applies to a stationary airplane on the ground, as well as during landing when the airplane is in motion.

3. What factors affect the normal force on the landing gear during landing?

The normal force on the landing gear can be affected by various factors such as the weight and mass of the airplane, the angle of descent during landing, the speed of the airplane, and the condition of the landing surface. Other factors such as wind conditions and the use of flaps or other landing aids can also affect the normal force.

4. Why is the normal force on the landing gear important during landing?

The normal force on the landing gear is important during landing because it helps to support the weight of the airplane and prevent it from crashing onto the ground. It also helps to distribute the weight of the airplane evenly across the landing gear, which is important for maintaining stability and preventing damage to the aircraft.

5. How does the normal force on the landing gear change during a hard landing?

During a hard landing, the normal force on the landing gear will increase due to the increase in impact force. This can put extra stress on the landing gear and potentially cause damage or failure. It is important for pilots to land the airplane smoothly to minimize the impact force and reduce the amount of stress on the landing gear.