Normal Stress question - Mechanics of Materials

In summary, the stress is higher in tension near the pin but when in compression the full cross section is used.
koab1mjr

Homework Statement

Conceptual question - When considering beam connected to something say a wall by a cylindar shaped pin, why is it when the beam is in tension near the pin the stress is high as the load is applied over a smaller cross section (normal cross section - profile of the pin) but when in compression one ignores the pin and takes the full cross sectional area?

Homework Equations

stress is force/ area

The Attempt at a Solution

The book I am using ignores the pin when beams are in compression. When using that approach i get the write answer but without understanding it is meaningless

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say that I actually know the answer or that I recall this approach. But, if I had to rationalize it, I would say that it is because a lot of materials tend to fail in tension rather then compression.

When in compression, the pin almost acts as a type of 'filler' becoming one with the hole. When in tension, the circular hole becomes more elliptical about the longitudinal axis of the beam. This would probably be a good place for a crack to form and propagate.

Perhaps an expert will chime in here, but that is my guess.

It has nothing to do with crack formation or failure in tension or compression; it's just a matter of whether there's any force applied the narrower cross section area on either side of the hole.

Think about which way the pin is pulling/pushing on the beam. If it's pulling on the beam (i.e., the beam is in tension), then the tensile stress is uniform along the beam except at the hole, where the cross section is smaller and therefore the stress is higher. If the pin is pushing on the beam, however, then no stress acts on that narrowed area because the pin is pushing on the other side of the hole. Thus, we use the uniform compression stress calculated by using the beam's full cross section. Does this answer your question?

Likes hm23

1. What is normal stress?

Normal stress is a type of mechanical stress that occurs when a force is applied perpendicular to the surface of a material. It is also known as axial stress or tensile/compressive stress, depending on whether the force is pulling or pushing on the material.

2. How is normal stress calculated?

Normal stress is calculated by dividing the force applied to the material by its cross-sectional area. The formula for normal stress is σ = F/A, where σ is the normal stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

3. What are the units of normal stress?

The units of normal stress are typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²) in the SI system, and pounds per square inch (psi) in the imperial system. Other units such as kilopascals (kPa) and megapascals (MPa) are also commonly used.

4. How does normal stress affect materials?

Normal stress can cause materials to deform, either temporarily or permanently, depending on the magnitude and duration of the stress. When the stress is greater than the material's yield strength, it can lead to plastic deformation, while stresses below the yield strength may only result in elastic deformation.

5. How is normal stress different from shear stress?

Normal stress and shear stress are two types of mechanical stresses that act on materials in different ways. Normal stress is caused by a force applied perpendicular to the surface of the material, while shear stress is caused by a force applied parallel to the surface. Additionally, normal stress causes the material to compress or stretch, while shear stress causes it to slide or twist.