1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal vector

1. Aug 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I took 2 plots.
    Can someone explain to me why the first one comes out positive and second negative?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If (a,b,c) is normal to a surface, so is (-a,-b,-c). There are two normals to a surface at a given point. For example in the first one you could also have written the plane -x-y-z=0. It's the same plane.
  4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    Yeah, but why did it switch it on the second one, and the first one stayed positive?
    If I learned anything, it is that there is no random in math...:smile:
  5. Aug 3, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Um, what do you mean by "switch"? I can't make out the coefficient of y in the equation of plane for the second one. You could use the right-hand screw rule along with r_u X r_v to see which direction the normal vector points. It all depends on how you parametrise it. If you had done u=y, v=x for the second one, it would have been the same as the normal vector read off the equation of the plane.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?