Nozzle/Diffuser equation for compressible flow

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a diffuser in compressible flow. The inlet and outlet mach numbers are 0.9 and 0.65, respectively, and the question is how to determine the ratio of the inlet and outlet areas. The expert advises to use the mach number directly instead of converting it into velocity terms.
DanielSauza
I was reading a bit about comrpessible flow and I came upon a problem, there's a diffuser which has air at Ma=0.9 at its inlet and the air comes out at 0.65, how should I go about finding the ratio of the inlet and outlet areas?

520aaeb78e642a2876ff0c09c783f95b.png

I know It's related to this equation but I'm unsure about how to use it (Should I turn Ma^2 into V terms or should I just use the Ma number at the outlet?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since your desired parameters are in terms of mach number, there's no reason to complicate things by turning it into a velocity. Just use the mach number directly.

1. What is the Nozzle/Diffuser equation for compressible flow?

The Nozzle/Diffuser equation for compressible flow is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the velocity, pressure, and density of a compressible fluid as it flows through a nozzle or diffuser. It is based on the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy principles.

2. What is the significance of the Nozzle/Diffuser equation in engineering?

The Nozzle/Diffuser equation is crucial in the design and analysis of various engineering systems, such as gas turbines, jet engines, and rocket engines. It helps engineers determine the optimal shape and size of nozzles and diffusers to achieve desired fluid flow properties.

3. How is the Nozzle/Diffuser equation derived?

The Nozzle/Diffuser equation is derived from the Euler equations, which are a set of differential equations that describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy in a fluid. By applying these equations to the nozzle or diffuser geometry and simplifying, the Nozzle/Diffuser equation can be obtained.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Nozzle/Diffuser equation?

The Nozzle/Diffuser equation assumes that the fluid is an ideal gas, that the flow is steady and one-dimensional, and that there is no heat transfer or friction losses in the system. These assumptions allow for a simplified analysis of the fluid flow through the nozzle or diffuser.

5. How is the Nozzle/Diffuser equation used to calculate nozzle performance?

The Nozzle/Diffuser equation is used to calculate the performance of a nozzle by determining the pressure ratio and mass flow rate of the fluid at the nozzle exit. The pressure ratio is a measure of the pressure difference between the nozzle inlet and exit, and the mass flow rate is a measure of the amount of fluid passing through the nozzle per unit time.