1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Decay

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    I'm sorry for posting this another thread, but I accidentally posted under to wrong forum initially and could not figure out how to delete it :-(

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the missing isotope: Iodine-127 (n, alpha)
    My answer is Sb- 122 but it was wrong.

Also, how would I go about finding the number of alpha and (negative) beta decay reactions needed to reduce an isotope, if I am not given half life? Please help! I know I am probably making it harder than it has to be!

2. Relevant equations

I am having a bit of trouble applying nuclear decay reactions. I understand the differences between alpha, beta, and gamma, but cannot seem to solve the equations 100% of the time. I do not know how I would type out alpha, beta, and gamma here, though. So I will just say that given alpha, I know to subtract, and Beta can be positive or negative. Gamma has no addition or subtraction.

3. The attempt at a solution

I wonder if I am just not comprehending what (n,alpha) means. Set up in a way to identify the particles is easy for me, though. As for the question pertaining to the cascade, we never reviewed a problem like that and therefore I would really appreciate someone just offering me a starting point.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The reaction: Iodine-127 (n, alpha) is just a shorthand way or writing the following:

127I + n → X + α, or in words

an atom of I-127 when struck by a neutron turns into element X plus one alpha particle.

You have to identify element X and figure out its atomic weight.

[If you want access to certain math and Greek alphabet symbols, hit the ∑ at the end of the toolbar in the Reply Box.]

4. May 16, 2015 #3

James Pelezo

Gold Member

This post was entered ~ 1-mo ago. Are you still in need of some suggestions? jp

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted