Nuclear Engineering graduate school advice?

In summary, the individual is a student graduating from an undergraduate program in Electrical Engineering and is torn between nuclear engineering and electrical engineering for graduate school. They are interested in schools with reactors as they learn best in lab settings and have a broad interest in the field of nuclear engineering. They are considering schools such as Texas A&M University, North Carolina State University, Kansas State University, University of Florida, Idaho State University, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. They are not interested in researching thermal hydraulics or purely computational things and are considering various interests such as radiation detection/protection, reactor/core design, health physics, medical physics, and plasma physics. They also mention schools like Georgia Tech, MIT, Penn State University, University
aliaze1
I plan to graduate after this year from an undergraduate program in Electrical Engineering. I was torn between nuclear engineering and electrical for undergrad, but I opted for EE with the plan to do NE for graduate school. I learn best in lab settings/hands on, so I am only considering schools that have reactors (think it would be a great learning opportunity). So far I am considering the following programs:

Texas A&M University
North Carolina State University (may be a stretch due to its popularity)
Kansas State University
University of Florida
Idaho State University
Purdue University (may be a stretch due to its popularity)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

My interests in the NE field are broad, but I know that I do not plan to research thermal hydraulics or purely computational things. Radiation detection/protection, reactor/core design, health physics, medical physics, and plasma physics are a few things that interest me.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
oh, I forgot to add, UW-Madison and Missouri Institute of Science and Technology...and possible U-Missouri

sorry for the huge list, but I am trying to narrow it down this summer before application season starts (personally I have removed Purdue, but I figured I would mention it since many people would probably bring it up)

There's also

Georgia Tech
MIT
Penn State University
University of California - Berkeley
UCLA
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
University of Michigan
University of Tennessee - Knoxville

to name a few others.

My school had a small 1W AGN-201 and a TRIGA reactor. Each student only did a startup of the TRIGA once as part of a class, but some students who worked there did multiple startups and operation as part of their employment. We did various experiments on neutron flux measurement and activation.

It's a mistake to write off a program because it doesn't have a reactor.

The program should depend on one's interest(s).

I definitely agree with Astronuc that writing off a program without a reactor is a bad idea.

I can only give advice from two programs personally, though I recently went through the grad app process and know a bit about some other programs.

I recently graduated from GT with a BS. Decided very strongly not to stay. The program seems to be shifting towards a radiation transport/medical physics type program. Additionally, the graduate coursework is very limited, especially in reactor topics. In general, I would say to avoid the program unless you want to do materials (Deo) or plasma research (Stacey...a world-renowned physicist in both nodal methods and plasma tech.).

I applied to A&M, Berkeley, MIT, and UMich for grad school. Though the only school I visited was Michigan. Through bg research, A&M's program seemed very strong with some good reactor-based research and Berkeley's didn't really catch my eye.

I might be fairly biased since I'll be going to UMich, but I was completely impressed when I visited. I interviewed with several professors who seemed to all have interesting research ranging from hybrid methods to cold neutron sources to crazy plasmas you can hold in your hand. Additionally, the available coursework in reactor physics is amazing. Many schools don't have enough faculty to support that many classes.

It is also important to state that though UMich doesn't have a reactor (it did...just not anymore) it is still a top program. A lot of good can come from a reactor, but a lot of reactor work is computational, really deeming a reactor as just a bragging point.

Thoughts on other schools:
Supposedly, NC State has a good program as well. UIUC seems to have a top undergrad program, but not grad. Wisconsin is good for plasma and thermal hydraulics. Penn State has a reactor and some irradiation facilities. KSU is one that very few students know about (Shultis and Faw) are really among the only two names from KSU people have heard, IMO.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your dilemma in choosing between electrical engineering and nuclear engineering for your undergraduate studies. It's great that you have a clear plan to pursue nuclear engineering for your graduate studies and have identified specific areas of interest within the field.

In terms of advice for selecting a graduate program, I would recommend considering factors beyond just the presence of a reactor. While hands-on experience in a lab setting is important, it's also crucial to look at the overall curriculum, faculty, and research opportunities offered at each program. You may also want to consider the location and industry connections of the university, as these can play a significant role in your future career prospects.

Additionally, I would suggest reaching out to current students or alumni of the programs you are interested in to get a better understanding of their experiences and any advice they may have. It's also a good idea to attend graduate school fairs or conferences to network and gather more information about different programs.

Finally, make sure to carefully review the admission requirements and application process for each program and start preparing early. Good luck with your graduate school journey!

1. What is the typical length of a nuclear engineering graduate program?

The length of a nuclear engineering graduate program can vary, but it is typically between 2-3 years for a master's degree and 4-6 years for a Ph.D. program. The exact length may also depend on the specific program and your area of research.

2. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a nuclear engineering graduate program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a nuclear engineering graduate program include the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, funding and financial aid options, and location.

3. What are some common application requirements for nuclear engineering graduate programs?

Most nuclear engineering graduate programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, strong academic background, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, GRE scores, and transcripts. Some programs may also require a personal interview.

4. How important are research opportunities and publications for graduate school admissions in nuclear engineering?

Research opportunities and publications can be important factors in the admissions process for a nuclear engineering graduate program. They demonstrate your interest and capabilities in the field and can help you stand out among other applicants. However, they are not the only criteria considered, and a strong academic background and other factors are also important.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering a career in nuclear engineering?

My advice would be to gain a strong foundation in math, physics, and engineering principles. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and staying up-to-date with industry developments can be beneficial for career opportunities in nuclear engineering.