Nuclear Explosion Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a nuclear explosion and its spherical shock wave, and how the radius of the shock wave can be determined by the energy released, initial air density, and time after the explosion. The calculation determines the relationship between the radius and these variables, represented by the equation r = k*E^a*ρ^b*t^c, where k is a dimensionless constant and a, b, and c are determined to be 1/5, -1/5, and 2/5 respectively. The discussion also touches on ignoring mundane constants in unit analysis and using the X2 menu button for better formatting.
eliassiguenza

Homework Statement

In a nuclear explosion there is a very quick release of energy in a small region of space. This produces a spherical shock wave, with the pressure inside the shock wave being thousands of times greater than the initial air pressure.
From wave theory it is found that the only properties of the explosion and the medium that the wave travels through that may determine how the radius R of this shock wave grows with time t are:
the Energy E (in kg.m2/s2) released in the explosion the initial air density p0 (in kg/m3) the time t (in s) after the explosion
Given that k is a dimensionless constant, find the dependence of the radius of the shock wave on the initial air density, the energy of the nuclear explosion and the time after the explosion (i.e. determine a, b, and c in the
relation r = k* E ^a*ρ^b*t^c).

Homework Equations

The answer is provided, but I don't understand several things...How can some one say m^a+b? since there was two m's at the beginning to start with I thought it would be 2m^a+b .. also how did they arrive to the conclusion that a+b = 0? why! i don't get it! ='(
Please help me out I'm lost...

The Attempt at a Solution

Rr = k E^a ρ^b t^c
[L] = [mL2 t^-2]^a [mL^-3]^b[T]^c
[L] = m^a [L^2]^a [T^-2]^a m^b [L ^-3]^b T^c
[L] = m^ a+b [L^ 2]^a-3b T c^-2a
so 2a-3b = 1
and a + b = 0
so a = -b
and c – 2a = 0
Then -2b – 3b = 1 or -5n = 1
and b = -1/5
(1) and a = 1/5
(1) c- 2/5 = 0 so c = 2/5
(1) so r = k*E1/5*ρ-1/50*t2/5

Physics news on Phys.org
eliassiguenza said:
The answer is provided, but I don't understand several things...How can some one say m^a+b? since there was two m's at the beginning to start with I thought it would be 2m^a+b .. also how did they arrive to the conclusion that a+b = 0? why! i don't get it! ='(
Please help me out I'm lost...

In unit analysis, mundane constants are ignored. So while energy might be given by m*v2/2 in "real life", in terms of units it's [M][L]2[T]-2.

a+b = 0 because the result has no mass term; radius is pure length [L].

P.S. You might find it handy to use the X2 menu button in the header of the reply or posting window in order to produce nice-looking exponents for your equations.

1. What is a nuclear explosion analysis?

A nuclear explosion analysis is a scientific process that involves studying the effects and characteristics of a nuclear explosion, such as the energy released, the radiation produced, and the impact on the surrounding environment.

2. How is a nuclear explosion analyzed?

A nuclear explosion is typically analyzed by using various instruments, such as seismometers, radiation detectors, and aerial imagery. Scientists also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the behavior of a nuclear explosion.

3. What information can be gained from a nuclear explosion analysis?

A nuclear explosion analysis can provide important information about the type of nuclear device used, the size and power of the explosion, and the potential effects on human health and the environment. It can also help in developing better safety measures and response strategies.

4. Why is nuclear explosion analysis important?

Nuclear explosion analysis is important for several reasons. It helps in monitoring and verifying international treaties and agreements related to nuclear weapons. It also provides valuable data for understanding nuclear weapon capabilities and developing strategies for nuclear non-proliferation.

5. What are the potential risks of conducting a nuclear explosion analysis?

Conducting a nuclear explosion analysis can involve handling radioactive materials and entering areas with high levels of radiation. Therefore, it is essential to take appropriate safety measures and precautions to minimize the risks to the scientists and the environment.