1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Nuclear Physics Book recommendations

1. Nov 27, 2016 #1
    I'm a BS Hons (in Physics) student. We've a course named nuclear physics where we had taken help from book named Elements of Nuclear Physics. However, it seems insufficient to (not elaborately explained) read. So would you please help me with recommendations of books which has plethora of info about Nuclear physics for Honours in Physics level stuffs.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Have you presented the same question to your instructor? If yes, what was his/her answer? If not, why not?

Zz.

4. Nov 27, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Who wrote it? Most physicists remember the authors of textbooks, not the titles.

A Google search for that title finds at least two books: one by Meyerhof and one by Burcham. I've never seen either of them, so I have no idea what would be comparable (if it is indeed one of those two).

5. Nov 27, 2016 #4
    Its Meyerhof's one

6. Nov 27, 2016 #5
    Actually our lecturer used different sources alongside the aforementioned book (with greater importance). However, I personally want a book or even two with most elaborately explained and comprehensive context about Nuclear physics.

7. Nov 27, 2016 #6
    How about "Introductory Nuclear Physics " by Kenneth Krane? I haven't read the book my self, but it is used on many introductory courses on nuclear physics.
    Are you mostly interested in theory or experiment?

8. Nov 27, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, "Nuclear Physics" is a pretty wide field nowadays, ranging from nuclear structure physics (very low energies) to ultrarelativistic heavy-ion collisions (very high energies). So to know, what to recommend, it would be great to know the contents of your course first. A very nice and modern introduction is

B. Povh et al, Particles and Nuclei, Springer 2015

9. Nov 27, 2016 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In other words, you didn't ask your instructor. Why not?

Presumably, he/she can also make the recommendation for the type of book that you are looking for, and have a better understanding of what you need to know. But you never asked.

Zz.

10. Nov 28, 2016 #9
    We used "The Atomic Nucleus" by Evans (1955) as a supplementary text when I was in school for nuclear engineering (a long time ago) and it was an old book then. You can probably find a used copy for a reasonable price. As I recall it was pretty detailed, about 1000 pages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted