Nuclear Physics Book recommendations

In summary, the student is looking for recommendations for books on nuclear physics for their Honours in Physics level course. They have used the book "Elements of Nuclear Physics" by Meyerhof, but are looking for more comprehensive and elaborately explained information. They have not asked their instructor for recommendations, but they have used "The Atomic Nucleus" by Evans in the past as a supplementary text.
Faisal Moshiur
I'm a BS Hons (in Physics) student. We've a course named nuclear physics where we had taken help from book named Elements of Nuclear Physics. However, it seems insufficient to (not elaborately explained) read. So would you please help me with recommendations of books which has plethora of info about Nuclear physics for Honours in Physics level stuffs.[emoji52]

Physics news on Phys.org
Faisal Moshiur said:
I'm a BS Hons (in Physics) student. We've a course named nuclear physics where we had taken help from book named Elements of Nuclear Physics. However, it seems insufficient to (not elaborately explained) read. So would you please help me with recommendations of books which has plethora of info about Nuclear physics for Honours in Physics level stuffs.[emoji52]

Have you presented the same question to your instructor? If yes, what was his/her answer? If not, why not?

Zz.

Faisal Moshiur said:
book named Elements of Nuclear Physics
Who wrote it? Most physicists remember the authors of textbooks, not the titles.

A Google search for that title finds at least two books: one by Meyerhof and one by Burcham. I've never seen either of them, so I have no idea what would be comparable (if it is indeed one of those two).

jtbell said:
Who wrote it? Most physicists remember the authors of textbooks, not the titles.

A Google search for that title finds at least two books: one by Meyerhof and one by Burcham. I've never seen either of them, so I have no idea what would be comparable (if it is indeed one of those two).
Its Meyerhof's one

ZapperZ said:
Have you presented the same question to your instructor? If yes, what was his/her answer? If not, why not?

Zz.
Actually our lecturer used different sources alongside the aforementioned book (with greater importance). However, I personally want a book or even two with most elaborately explained and comprehensive context about Nuclear physics.

How about "Introductory Nuclear Physics " by Kenneth Krane? I haven't read the book my self, but it is used on many introductory courses on nuclear physics.
Are you mostly interested in theory or experiment?

Well, "Nuclear Physics" is a pretty wide field nowadays, ranging from nuclear structure physics (very low energies) to ultrarelativistic heavy-ion collisions (very high energies). So to know, what to recommend, it would be great to know the contents of your course first. A very nice and modern introduction is

B. Povh et al, Particles and Nuclei, Springer 2015

Faisal Moshiur said:
Actually our lecturer used different sources alongside the aforementioned book (with greater importance). However, I personally want a book or even two with most elaborately explained and comprehensive context about Nuclear physics.

In other words, you didn't ask your instructor. Why not?

Presumably, he/she can also make the recommendation for the type of book that you are looking for, and have a better understanding of what you need to know. But you never asked.

Zz.

We used "The Atomic Nucleus" by Evans (1955) as a supplementary text when I was in school for nuclear engineering (a long time ago) and it was an old book then. You can probably find a used copy for a reasonable price. As I recall it was pretty detailed, about 1000 pages.

Related to Nuclear Physics Book recommendations

1. What are the best introductory books on nuclear physics?

Some recommended introductory books on nuclear physics include "Introduction to Nuclear Physics" by Kenneth S. Krane, "Nuclear Physics: Principles and Applications" by John Lilley, and "Nuclear and Particle Physics: An Introduction" by Brian R. Martin and Graham Shaw.

2. Are there any books that cover both theoretical and experimental aspects of nuclear physics?

Yes, there are several books that cover both theoretical and experimental aspects of nuclear physics. Some examples include "Nuclear Physics: A Course Given by Enrico Fermi at the University of Chicago" by Enrico Fermi, "Nuclear Physics: Exploring the Heart of Matter" by John Dirk Walecka, and "Nuclear Physics: Principles and Applications" by John Lilley.

3. What are some advanced books on nuclear physics for graduate students?

For graduate students, some highly recommended advanced books on nuclear physics include "Nuclear Models" by Walter Greiner, "Introduction to Nuclear and Particle Physics" by Ashok Das and Thomas Ferbel, and "Nuclear and Particle Physics: An Introduction" by William S. C. Williams.

4. Are there any books that focus specifically on nuclear reactions and their applications?

Yes, there are several books that focus specifically on nuclear reactions and their applications. Some examples include "Nuclear Reactions for Astrophysics" by Ian J. Thompson, "Nuclear Reactions: An Introduction" by Philip J. Woods and Colin A. Poole, and "Nuclear Reactions for Astrophysics: Principles, Calculation and Applications of Low-Energy Reactions" by Christian Iliadis.

5. Are there any books that explore the history and development of nuclear physics?

There are several books that delve into the history and development of nuclear physics. Some recommended titles include "Inward Bound: Of Matter and Forces in the Physical World" by Abraham Pais, "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes, and "The Discovery of the Neutron" by James Chadwick.