1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Octet Rule

1. Mar 2, 2007 #1
    Hi I'm unsure about how I can tell whether or not a compound has too many electrons, too few electrons, has an odd number of electrons, or follows the octet rule. I know B and Be are exceptions, but what about compounds that have Xe and S such as XeF4 and SO2?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2007 #2
    don't think about electrons in general, be more specific and think valence electrons

4. Mar 2, 2007 #3
    For those elements belongs to period 1 and 2, such as N, the elements have only two orbitals, hence the maximum number of electron accommodated by the elements are only 8 electrons, not more than that. These elements will generally follow the octet rules.

However, for elements that have more than 2 orbitals, they may (not necessarily)expand their valency to the d orbital, which means they can accommodate more than 8 electrons. Eg. PCl5 If you found that the central atom accommodate more than 8 valence electron, then the compound doesn't follow the octet rule, and has too many electrons.

XeF4 certainly has more than 8 valence electron, as there are 12 electrons. (Xe shares 4 electron pair with 4F)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?