Ohm's law and emf for non static electric fields

In summary, the conversation discusses studying electromagnetism with Griffiths' books and reviewing Ohm's law and emf concepts. The question is raised about whether Ohm's law and emf still hold true in non-stationary conditions. It is concluded that Ohm's law remains the same but with new dependencies on the magnetic field, while emf can be defined in a similar way but with additional differential equations.
almarpa
Hello all.

I am currently studying electromagnetism with Griffiths' books, and I have already donde electrostatic and magnetostatics. Now I am reviewing Ohm's law en emf concepts, but I have a doubt:

In griffths book, when explaining ohm's law and emf, it seems to me that he assumes steady currents and electrostatic fields. So, ohm's law is defined as J(r)=σE(r), and emf is defined as the closed line integral of the non electrostatic force acting on the circuit.

But, what happens in non stationary conditions (time dependent elctric fields and currents)?

Does Ohms law still remain the same?
I mean, would this equation J(r,t)=σE(r,t) be correct?

, and regarding emf, if electric field is not stationary anymore, would emf be defined in the same way?

Regards.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ohm's law still has to be the same. If it wasn't then a measured resistance could be time dependent.

Ohm's law is the same but in non stationary conditions the electric field has new dependencies on what the magnetic field is doing. You could define σE(r,t)=σE(J(r,t),B(r,t)) and then rewrite Ohm's law as J(r,t)=σE(J(r,t),B(r,t)). The right half there would require a solution for the electric field based on Faraday's law of induction and Ampere's law. It's still Ohm's law but now it's a real nasty differential equation.

Last edited:
OK, I see.

Thank you so much.

And, what about emf?

Regards.

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. What is the formula for Ohm's Law?

The formula for Ohm's Law is V = I * R, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

3. What is the difference between static and non-static electric fields?

A static electric field is one that does not change with time, whereas a non-static electric field changes with time. Non-static electric fields are typically created by alternating currents or changing magnetic fields.

4. What is emf in relation to non-static electric fields?

Emf stands for electromotive force and is the energy per unit charge that is supplied by a source, such as a battery or generator, to move the charge through a circuit. In non-static electric fields, emf is the force that drives the current in the circuit.

5. How does Ohm's Law apply to non-static electric fields?

Ohm's Law still applies to non-static electric fields, but with some modifications. In these cases, the resistance is not constant and may change with time. Additionally, the voltage and current may not be in phase with each other, meaning they do not peak at the same time. Therefore, the formula becomes V = I * Z, where Z is the impedance, a measure of the combined resistance and reactance in the circuit.