Ohm's Law: Examining a Sample's Resistance

In summary, the sample has a resistance of 0.5 ohms at 1V and a resistance of 0.4 ohms at 2V. The answer according to the book is B, but it is not clear how they arrived at this answer. It may be helpful to plot R(I) or find a mathematical approach to solve for the resistance. However, even with these methods, the given data points do not seem to lead to a clear answer. It is possible that there is an error in the problem or answer.
blackout85
A certain sample carries a current of 4 A when the potential difference is 2V and a current of 10 A when the potential difference is 4V. This sample:
A) obeys Ohm law
B) has a resistance of 0.5 ohms at 1V
C) has a resistance of 2.5 ohms at 1V
D) has a resistance of 2.5 ohms at 2V
E) does not have a resistance

my work:
R= V/I= (2/4) = .5
R= (4/10)= .4

The answer according to the book the answer is B. I do not see how they got that answer could someone please explain. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe try plotting R(I) to see if something pops out. You have two data points already -- do any of the answers A-E also fit with the other two data points?

Is there a way to go about it mathematically without graphing?

I suppose, but even with graphing the two points (and the unknown point at 1V), it's not obvious to me how to proceed. The resistances are different at each of the points, and are not equal to the slope of the line between them. Even if the resistance is varying linearly with current, you will not get the same answer of 0.5 Ohms at both 1V and 2V. Are you sure the problem and answer are stated correctly?

Related to Ohm's Law: Examining a Sample's Resistance

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit.

2. How is Ohm's Law expressed mathematically?

The mathematical expression of Ohm's Law is V = IR, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

3. How do you calculate resistance using Ohm's Law?

To calculate resistance, you can rearrange Ohm's Law to R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

4. What factors affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material depends on its length, cross-sectional area, and resistivity. Temperature also affects resistance, with most materials having an increased resistance at higher temperatures.

5. How is Ohm's Law used in real-world applications?

Ohm's Law is used to design, analyze, and troubleshoot electrical circuits in various applications, including electronics, power distribution, and telecommunications. It is also the basis for many other laws and principles in physics and engineering.