OMG this problem is making me mad

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves converting 2.50 kg of solid ice from -11.5°C to liquid water at 60.0°C. The specific heat of ice is 0.50 kcal/kg°C and the heat of fusion for water is 79.7 kcal/kg. After converting the specific heats to Joules, the total heat required is 906000 Joules.
BuBbLeS01
OMG this problem is making me mad please help!

Homework Statement

How much heat is required to convert 2.50 kg of solid ice from a temperature of -11.5°C to liquid water at a temperature of 60.0 °C? (The specific heat of ice is cice = 0.50 kcal/kg°C and the heat of fusion for water is Lf = 79.7 kcal/kg.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M = 2.5kg
Steps: -11.5 deg C to 0 deg C
Heat fusion at 0 deg C
0 deg C to 60 deg C

I converted bother specific heats to Jewels by multiplying by 1000 and 4.19
0.5 = 2095
79.7 - 333943

Q1 = M*Ci*CH T = 2.5 * 2095 * (0+11.5) = 60231.25J
Q2 = MLf = 2.5 * 333943 = 834857.5J
Q3 = M*Cw*CH T = 2.5 * 4190 * (60-0) = 10475J

Q1 + Q2 + Q3 = 9.06E^5 j

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind I got it...I had to use 4186.8 instead of 4190!

Hello, I understand that this problem may be causing frustration. However, it is important to approach it with a calm and analytical mindset in order to find the correct solution. Based on the given information, the total amount of heat required can be calculated by breaking the process into three steps: first, heating the ice from -11.5°C to 0°C, then melting the ice at 0°C, and finally heating the liquid water from 0°C to 60°C. By using the specific heat of ice, the heat of fusion for water, and the specific heat of liquid water, the total amount of heat required can be calculated to be 906,000 joules. I hope this helps.

1. What should I do when I encounter a frustrating problem?

First, take a deep breath and try to calm down. Then, step away from the problem and take a break. This will allow you to approach the problem with a clear mind and fresh perspective.

2. How can I prevent myself from getting too upset about a problem?

One way to prevent feeling overwhelmed by a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable tasks. This will help you feel more in control and less frustrated.

3. What if I can't find a solution to the problem?

If you are struggling to find a solution, don't be afraid to ask for help. Reach out to colleagues, mentors, or online communities for advice and support. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can provide a new perspective.

4. How can I stay motivated when dealing with a difficult problem?

It can be challenging to stay motivated when faced with a difficult problem, but try to focus on small victories and progress made along the way. Also, remember to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

5. Is it normal to feel frustrated and mad when dealing with a problem?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel frustrated and mad when dealing with a problem. It is important to acknowledge and accept these feelings, but also find healthy ways to cope with them, such as talking to a friend or taking a break.