1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On changing the order of integration

1. May 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a more general question, but I want to be sure I understand something here.

Take any function f(x,y) and say you're doing a double integral, like this:

[tex]\int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}\int^{sinx}_{\pi/2}f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

So I want to reverse the order of integration. The x-coordinate interval is π/2 to π, and the y-interval is 0 to sinx.

So that means that x=arcsin y. and the interval in those terms starts at 1. Am I correct so far?

If I switch the order of integration I have to put the y interval on the outside. But since the y interval is in terms of x I have to change that. On this curve y is between 0 and 1. So I should make the outer integral from 1 to 0 since we were originally starting at π/2.

The inner integral is therefore π/2 to arcsin y.

And when you re-order the integral you should get

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{sin^{-1}}_{\pi/2}f(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

But I know this is wrong and I am trying to make sure I understand why that is.

Any assistance is appreciated, as always.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did you mean this integral?
    $$\int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}\int^{sinx}_0f(x,y)dydx $$
    This is what you described, below.
    For one thing, sin-1 can't be one of the limits of integration. sin-1(y) would be OK, though.

Assuming your first integral is as I corrected it, with the region of integration being bounded by the x-axis and y = sin(x), and between x = ##\pi/2## and ##\pi##, the integral in reversed order would be
    $$ \int_{y = 0}^1 \int_{x = \pi/2}^{sin^{-1}(y)}~f(x, y)~dx~dy$$

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    Yes, the correction you made was right (my inexpertise with itex entries. Oh well).

In any case, it seems i had my reasoning correct, even if my typing skills were off. So that's good to know.

Thanks Mark 44.

5. May 14, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think all is right with the results.

If the original integral is ##\displaystyle \ \int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}\int^{sinx}_0f(x,y)dydx \,,\ ## then the region of integration satisfies the inequalies:
    0 < y < sin(x) and π/2 < x < π .​
    I.e. It's the region above the x-axis and below y = sin(x) that is to the right of x = π/2 and to the left of x = π .

The region of integration for the integral, ##\displaystyle \ \int_{y = 0}^1 \int_{x = \pi/2}^{sin^{-1}(y)}~f(x, y)~dx~dy \ ## is different because of the range of the arcsine function.
    -π/2 ≤ arcsin(u) ≤ π/2

The upper limit of integration for the inner integral needs to be modified if the region of integration is to be to the right of x = π/2 .

6. May 14, 2013 #5
    That wold mean that all I'd have to do tho, is subtract π from the arcsin function, no? So the range would be -π/2 to sin-1(y)?

Last edited: May 14, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted