On changing the order of integration

In summary: If the original integral is ##\displaystyle \ \int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}\int^{sinx}_0f(x,y)dydx \,,\ ## then the region of integration satisfies the inequalies:0 < y < sin(x) and π/2 < x < π .I.e. It's the region above the x-axis and below y = sin(x) that is to the right of x = π/2 and to the left of x = π .The region of integration for the integral, ##\displaystyle \ \int_{y = 0}^1 \int_{x = \pi/
Emspak

Homework Statement

This is a more general question, but I want to be sure I understand something here.

Take any function f(x,y) and say you're doing a double integral, like this:

[tex]\int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}\int^{sinx}_{\pi/2}f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

So I want to reverse the order of integration. The x-coordinate interval is π/2 to π, and the y-interval is 0 to sinx.

So that means that x=arcsin y. and the interval in those terms starts at 1. Am I correct so far?

If I switch the order of integration I have to put the y interval on the outside. But since the y interval is in terms of x I have to change that. On this curve y is between 0 and 1. So I should make the outer integral from 1 to 0 since we were originally starting at π/2.

The inner integral is therefore π/2 to arcsin y.

And when you re-order the integral you should get

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{sin^{-1}}_{\pi/2}f(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

But I know this is wrong and I am trying to make sure I understand why that is.

Any assistance is appreciated, as always.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:

Homework Statement

This is a more general question, but I want to be sure I understand something here.

Take any function f(x,y) and say you're doing a double integral, like this:

[tex]\int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}\int^{sinx}_{\pi/2}f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

So I want to reverse the order of integration. The x-coordinate interval is π/2 to π, and the y-interval is 0 to sinx.
Did you mean this integral?
$$\int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}\int^{sinx}_0f(x,y)dydx $$
This is what you described, below.
Emspak said:
So that means that x=arcsin y. and the interval in those terms starts at 1. Am I correct so far?

If I switch the order of integration I have to put the y interval on the outside. But since the y interval is in terms of x I have to change that. On this curve y is between 0 and 1. So I should make the outer integral from 1 to 0 since we were originally starting at π/2.

The inner integral is therefore π/2 to arcsin y.

And when you re-order the integral you should get

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{sin^{-1}}_{\pi/2}f(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

But I know this is wrong and I am trying to make sure I understand why that is.
For one thing, sin-1 can't be one of the limits of integration. sin-1(y) would be OK, though.

Assuming your first integral is as I corrected it, with the region of integration being bounded by the x-axis and y = sin(x), and between x = ##\pi/2## and ##\pi##, the integral in reversed order would be
$$ \int_{y = 0}^1 \int_{x = \pi/2}^{sin^{-1}(y)}~f(x, y)~dx~dy$$
Emspak said:
Any assistance is appreciated, as always.

Yes, the correction you made was right (my inexpertise with itex entries. Oh well).

In any case, it seems i had my reasoning correct, even if my typing skills were off. So that's good to know.

Thanks Mark 44.

Emspak said:
Yes, the correction you made was right (my inexpertise with itex entries. Oh well).

In any case, it seems i had my reasoning correct, even if my typing skills were off. So that's good to know.

Thanks Mark 44.
I don't think all is right with the results.

If the original integral is ##\displaystyle \ \int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}\int^{sinx}_0f(x,y)dydx \,,\ ## then the region of integration satisfies the inequalies:
0 < y < sin(x) and π/2 < x < π .​
I.e. It's the region above the x-axis and below y = sin(x) that is to the right of x = π/2 and to the left of x = π .

The region of integration for the integral, ##\displaystyle \ \int_{y = 0}^1 \int_{x = \pi/2}^{sin^{-1}(y)}~f(x, y)~dx~dy \ ## is different because of the range of the arcsine function.
-π/2 ≤ arcsin(u) ≤ π/2

The upper limit of integration for the inner integral needs to be modified if the region of integration is to be to the right of x = π/2 .

That wold mean that all I'd have to do tho, is subtract π from the arcsin function, no? So the range would be -π/2 to sin-1(y)?

Last edited:

Related to On changing the order of integration

What is meant by changing the order of integration?

Changing the order of integration refers to the process of rearranging the limits of integration in a multiple integral. This allows for the integration to be done in a different order, which can sometimes make it easier to solve the integral or provide a different perspective on the problem.

Why would someone want to change the order of integration?

Changing the order of integration can make it easier to solve a multiple integral, especially when the original order of integration leads to complicated calculations or is difficult to visualize. It can also provide a different perspective on the problem, which can sometimes yield new insights or solutions.

What are some common methods for changing the order of integration?

There are several methods for changing the order of integration, including using the properties of symmetry and switching the order of integration in a double or triple integral. Another method is to convert the integral into a different coordinate system, such as polar or cylindrical coordinates, and then change the order of integration.

Can changing the order of integration affect the value of the integral?

Yes, changing the order of integration can sometimes affect the value of the integral. This is because the order of integration can affect the way the function is being integrated and can lead to different values. However, if the limits of integration are the same, the value of the integral will not change.

Are there any limitations to changing the order of integration?

There are some limitations to changing the order of integration. For example, if the function being integrated is not continuous or if the limits of integration are not defined, then changing the order of integration may not be possible. It is also important to check for any discontinuities or singularities when changing the order of integration to ensure an accurate result.