One of Boris Korunsky's brain twisters

• Thread starter Salamon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, two identical blocks connected by a string over a pulley are initially at rest. When block 2 is released, it will hit the wall after block 1 hits the pulley. This is due to the fact that the horizontal force acting on block 2 is less than the horizontal force acting on block 1, resulting in a slower horizontal acceleration. Therefore, block 1 will travel a greater horizontal distance and reach the pulley first.
Salamon

Homework Statement

Two identical blocks are attached by a massless string running over a pulley. The rope initially runs over the pulley at the rope's midpoint, and the surface that block 1 rests on is frictionless. Blocks 1 and 2 are initially at rest when block 2 is released with the string taut and horizontal. Will block 1 hit the pulley before or after block 2 hits the wall? (Assume that the initial distance from block 1 to the pulley is the same as the initial distance from block 2 to the wall.) See Attached Figure

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Fg = mg
Fc = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that block 1 hits the pulley first. But Korunsky says that the solution is very simple.

I am not sure if I am right.

I can draw a freebody diagram showing that tension acts on block 1 and is equal to the net force.
I can also draw a freebody diagram showing that Tension - mgcosΘ is equal to the net force. Would this mean that the acceleration of the second block is less than the acceleration of the first block? Is this why block 1 hits the pulley first?

Attachments

• boris korunsky.jpg
    boris korunsky.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 569
Physics news on Phys.org
What determines the horizontal component of acceleration of block 2?

TsinΘ?

You have the right idea. I'm not sure how you're defining the angle Θ (from vertical or from horizontal).

Anyway, how does the horizontal force acting on block 1 compare with the horizontal force acting on block 2?

Ok, well if Θ is with respect to the horizontal, then TcosΘ is the horizontal force on block 2 which is less than the horizontal force on block 1 which is T.

Is that it?

Salamon said:
Ok, well if Θ is with respect to the horizontal, then TcosΘ is the horizontal force on block 2 which is less than the horizontal force on block 1 which is T.

Yes.

Is that it?

What can you say about the horizontal components of acceleration of each block?

Which block (if either) has to travel more horizontal distance?

Which block should arrive at the wall first?

So the horizontal acceleration of block 2 is less.

They both have the same horizontal distance to travel.

Therefore, block 1 strikes first.

Correct?

Yes. Sounds good.

1. What is "One of Boris Korunsky's brain twisters"?

"One of Boris Korunsky's brain twisters" is a series of challenging puzzles and riddles created by Boris Korunsky, a renowned mathematician and puzzle creator. These brain twisters are designed to test one's critical thinking skills and ability to solve complex problems.

2. How difficult are these brain twisters?

The difficulty level of these brain twisters varies, with some being more challenging than others. However, all of them require a certain level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They are suitable for people of all ages, but may be more challenging for younger audiences.

3. Can these brain twisters improve cognitive abilities?

Yes, solving brain twisters like those created by Boris Korunsky can help improve cognitive abilities such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and pattern recognition. They also stimulate the brain and can improve memory and concentration.

4. Are there any tips for solving these brain twisters?

Some tips for solving brain twisters include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, looking for patterns and connections, and thinking outside the box. It can also be helpful to work in a systematic manner and eliminate any potential solutions that do not fit the given criteria.

5. Where can I find more brain twisters like these?

Boris Korunsky's brain twisters can be found online, in puzzle books, and in various publications. There are also many other puzzle creators and resources available that offer similar brain twisters and challenges for those looking to improve their critical thinking skills.