One Term is missing for Circuit Analysis Help to Solve it?

In summary, the conversation is about using nodal analysis to find I_0 in a circuit. The person is unsure about how to model a Vsource as a current and has questions about the connections between nodes. They are reminded to include the (v3-v1)/1k current in their calculation and are informed about a (super-)supernode formed by the 20V source, node 4, and the reference node. They then realize their mistake and correct it.
ravenprp

Homework Statement

Find I_0 using Nodal Analysis.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/394/untitledph7.png

I'm kind of lost for where my box is on the upper right corner. I don't know how to model the 20v Vsource as a current... can you even do that? I've done the other nodes, though I'm not particularly sure yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm.. I'm having second doubts. Is the connection between the V3 and V1 one single node or is there another node in the middle (near that big blob of dot that I have there.. above the second 1k resistor from the left)?

No it's the same as the V3 node.

You have missed out the (v3-v1)/1k current when you took the KCL on supernode 3-4. Apart from that, due the to 20V source, node 4 and the reference node will form a supernode, hence you'd have a (super-)supernode 3-4-ref.

Try again.

doodle said:
You have missed out the (v3-v1)/1k current when
you took the KCL on supernode 3-4.

Wait... I thought I put that down? It's the first term when I start writing my KCL equation for the supernode.

Apart from that, due the to 20V source, node 4 and the reference node will form a supernode, hence you'd have a (super-)supernode 3-4-ref.

Try again.

I see. You're right. I completely forgot about having a super-super-node!

Whoops. I meant the (v3-v2)/1k current.

Related to One Term is missing for Circuit Analysis Help to Solve it?

1. How do I identify which term is missing in a circuit analysis problem?

To identify the missing term in a circuit analysis problem, you can use the given values and equations to solve for the unknown variable. You can also use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine the missing term.

2. What is the importance of identifying the missing term in a circuit analysis problem?

Identifying the missing term in a circuit analysis problem is crucial for accurately solving the problem and obtaining the correct results. Without the missing term, the calculations and analysis may be incorrect and lead to incorrect conclusions.

3. What steps should I follow to solve a circuit analysis problem with a missing term?

The first step is to identify the missing term and gather all the given values and equations. Then, use the appropriate laws and equations to solve for the missing term. Finally, check your calculations and results to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I use any technique to solve for the missing term in a circuit analysis problem?

Yes, there are various techniques and methods that can be used to solve for the missing term in a circuit analysis problem. Some common techniques include using Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and nodal analysis.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circuit analysis problem with a missing term?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect equations or laws, not considering the units of the terms, and not checking the final results for accuracy. It is also important to double-check all calculations and equations to ensure they are correct.