Solve Op-amp Basic Problem: Output to Input Ratio

• Thread starter Learnphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the problem is to find the output to input ratio for an Op-amp circuit with all resistances being "R". The student attempted to use KVL and KCL to solve the problem, but found difficulty in relating it to the output voltage. They asked for help and were suggested to try using KCL equations.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2389/opamp.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All resistances are "R".

Find the output to input ratio for this Op-amp

Homework Equations

KCL, KVL, Voltage divider.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know no current flows into the Op amp through the inverting terminal so all the current flows into the feedback loop.

I know i can then use KVL and KCL to work out the current equivalencies such as:
KVL around the first loop in the feedbackloop:
(i1*R)-(i2*R) = 0
therefore: i1=i2.

KCL at the frst node in the Feedback loop gives:
i1+i2 = i3.

around the second node gives:
i3+i4 = i5.

KVL around the final loop in the feedback loop gives:
(i4*R) + (i5*R) = 0

But my main problem is trying to relate all this to the output voltage which i can't seem to get an expression for.

Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Learnphysics said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2389/opamp.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All resistances are "R".

Find the output to input ratio for this Op-amp

Homework Equations

KCL, KVL, Voltage divider.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know no current flows into the Op amp through the inverting terminal so all the current flows into the feedback loop.

I know i can then use KVL and KCL to work out the current equivalencies such as:
KVL around the first loop in the feedbackloop:
(i1*R)-(i2*R) = 0
therefore: i1=i2.

KCL at the frst node in the Feedback loop gives:
i1+i2 = i3.

around the second node gives:
i3+i4 = i5.

KVL around the final loop in the feedback loop gives:
(i4*R) + (i5*R) = 0

But my main problem is trying to relate all this to the output voltage which i can't seem to get an expression for.

Please help

I would use the KCL equatinos for this problem -- they are more intuitive for me. Can you try it with KCL? What is the voltage at the "-" input terminal of the opamp?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in various electronic circuits and is essential in the field of analog signal processing.

2. How do I calculate the output to input ratio of an op-amp circuit?

To calculate the output to input ratio, also known as the gain of an op-amp circuit, you need to know the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. This can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage.

3. What are the common problems when solving op-amp basic problems?

Some common problems when solving op-amp basic problems include incorrect circuit connections, incorrect calculations, and incorrect assumptions about the properties of the op-amp. It is important to carefully follow the circuit diagram and double-check all calculations to avoid these errors.

4. How can I simplify the process of solving op-amp basic problems?

One way to simplify the process is by using the ideal op-amp model, which assumes that the op-amp has infinite input impedance, zero output impedance, and an infinite gain. This simplifies the calculations and allows for easier analysis of the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of op-amp circuits?

Op-amp circuits have a wide range of practical applications, including audio amplifiers, signal conditioners, filters, and voltage regulators. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and control systems, as well as in analog-to-digital converters and oscillators.