1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op-amp Problem

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://web.stagram.com/p/362176186041336029_243276631
    this is a link to the question. I'm stuck on 2a and b

2. Relevant equations
    I don't understand if the voltmeter is reading 6v why the light is not receiving 6v? And why would a transistor help this problem?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a) What properties (there are two candidates here) of a real amplifier cause the output to diminish when loaded?
    b) Of the three basic transistor configurations, to wit, common emitter, emitter follower and common-base, which one do you think is appropriate here, and why?

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    a) if it is an inverting amplifier and operational amplifier?
    b) I have never heard of any of them, I'm 16 and doing higher physics in Scotland, we've only ever spoke about transistors and not any types or anything like that

5. Jan 5, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a) has nothing to do with inverting vs. noninverting. Is characteristic of any type of amplifier - op amp, stereo amp, etc.
    b) Not transistor types - transistor circuit configurations. You need to look up and study the basic properties of those three configurations and think about which would be suitable in your case.

6. Jan 5, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the switch is thrown the voltmeter no longer reads 6V.
    Transistors can amplify current and/or voltage depending on circuit configuration.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook