Can you help with operational amplifier homework?

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem where the person is seeking help and asking for clarification on certain concepts. They also discuss using Laplace transforms to solve the problem and the meaning of certain variables in the equations. The main goal is to calculate the input impedance of the circuit and show that it is equivalent to a coil.
Pablo3

Homework Statement

Good morning everybody,I'm french and my english isn't good but I need help for this exercice please:

I tried to do this exercice,however I'm not sure of my answers,can you tell me if they are good , or what mistakes I committed ?
Here the exercice :
151229051215716435.jpg

151229051226148414.jpg

2. Revelant equations
The questions are:
a)Calculate Vs1 and Vs2 according to Ve

Calculate Ie according to Is and I1.
Calculate Ie according to Ve.
b) Show that this dipole is equivalent to a coil L,calculate L according R1,R2,and C.

Deduce the impedance of the assembly(mounting)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

And here is what I have said:

Question a)We use the mesh(or stitch) 1 so Ve-Vs1=

Ve-Z1.ie=0=>Ve=Z1.ie= (R1+R1).ie=2R1.ie(the resistors are in series).

Then for the mesh(or stitch) 2,on a Ve=Z2.ie=R2.ie.

Then to express ie depending on I1 and Is, it can be said according to the law for the nodes ie=i1+is.

After we know that Ze.ie=Ve ,so ,ie=Ve/Ze that's why Ze=Ve/ie=2R1.
b) I don't know

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From your second attached figure, it seems that you try to solve the problem by means of KVL. Instead I would suggest that you regard the circuit as a closed loop, included two inner loops, namely the left amplifier circuit ( A1+R1+R1+R1 ) and the right amplifier circuit ( R2+C+A2 ).

The outer loop has a feed back ( Is ) through the upmost R1 ( current feedback ).

As for the inner loops, you must calculate/setup transfer functions. The rightmost is the most easy, so I will choose that to show you what I mean :smile:
( I hope you know about Laplace transforms, Laplace was from France, I think ):

The sum of currents into A2inp- = 0 →
Vs1/R2 + Vs2*sC = 0 →
Vs1/Vs2 = -R2⋅Cs →
Vs2/Vs1 = -1/(R2⋅C)s

So you simply sketch this rightmost transfer function as a "block" inside the outer loop.

Likewise you sketch the transfer function for the leftmost inner block. You should ( by intuition ) see that
Vs1/Ve = 2
because otherwise the amplifier circuit will not be "in balance". ( A1inp- = A1inp+ ).

Having sketched the outer loop, apply "Masons rule" to calculate the transfer function, and calculate
Ve/Ie
which is the input impedance of the circuit, and it should be possible to write it in the form:
Ve/Ie = sL
which is the answer to:

b) Show that this dipole is equivalent to a coil L,calculate L according R1,R2,and C.

Last edited:
Likes Pablo3
Hesch said:
From your second attached figure, it seems that you try to solve the problem by means of KVL. Instead I would suggest that you regard the circuit as a closed loop, included two inner loops, namely the left amplifier circuit ( A1+R1+R1+R1 ) and the right amplifier circuit ( R2+C+A2 ).

The outer loop has a feed back ( Is ) through the upmost R1 ( current feedback ).

As for the inner loops, you must calculate/setup transfer functions. The rightmost is the most easy, so I will choose that to show you what I mean :smile:

Vs1/R2 + Vs2*sC = 0 →
Vs1/Vs2 = -R2⋅Cs →
Vs2/Vs1 = -1/(R2⋅C)s

So you simply sketch this rightmost transfer function as a "block" inside the outer loop.

Likewise you sketch the transfer function for the leftmost inner block. You should ( by intuition ) see that
Vs1/Ve = 2
because otherwise the amplifier circuit will not be "in balance". ( A1inp- = A1inp+ ).

Having sketched the outer loop, apply "Masons rule" to calculate the transfer function, and calculate
Ve/Ie
which is the input impedance of the circuit, and it should be possible to write it in the form:
Ve/Ie = sL
which is the answer to:

Hesch said:

Vs1/R2 + Vs2*sC = 0 →
Vs1/Vs2 = -R2⋅Cs →
Vs2/Vs1 = -1/(R2⋅C)s

Vs1/Ve = 2

Ve/Ie
Ve/Ie = sL
which is the answer to:

Thank you for your help,yes Laplace was from France effectively.
I will review my course to completely understand what you say,but I have a question,what does mean "inp-" and what it is "s"?

Pablo3 said:
what does mean "inp-" and what it is "s"?
For example the integrated amplifier, A1 ( leftmost ), has one output, and two inputs ( a negative and a positive ). I have just named the negative input A1inp- , and thus the positive input A1inp+ .

"s" is a complex variabel, used in the Laplacian domain, like "t" in the time domain.

For example you can describe a sinusoidal signal in the time domain by: F(t) = V*sin ωt.
The Laplace transform of this signal will be: F(s) = V*ω / ( s2 + ω2 ).

Now, if you want to determine dF(t)/dt, you do this in the Laplace domain by multiplying F(s) by s, so
s*F(s) = V*ω*s / ( s2 + ω2 )
which is the Laplace transform of G(t) = V*ω*cos ωt.

In the frequency domain, the impedance of a capacitor is described by: Zc(ω) = 1 / jωC.
In the Laplacian domain it is described by: Zc(s) = 1 / sC.

L(dF(t)/dt) = s*F(s)
L((F(t)⋅dt ) = F(s) / s

That's the clever thing about Laplace transforms. It is very comfortable to do calculations by Laplace. You will see that when you review your course.

Likes Pablo3
Thank you ,I'm trying to improve my English to post on your forum more often
it's a shame that most people only post on their forums countries ,but it is true that the language barrier is not easy.

Well, in Denmark ( where I'm staying ), about 70% of the books used for studying are in english due to the small size of DK.

"Then we can learn it", as we say.

70% percent it's very big!
for us it is only scientific book in higher study.
Yes ,you dont't have choice,if only it was the same thing in France,french will be better in english ahahah.

1. What is an operational amplifier (op-amp)?

An operational amplifier, or op-amp, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high gain and is commonly used in various electronic circuits for signal processing and amplification.

2. What are the main characteristics of an op-amp?

The main characteristics of an op-amp include high open-loop gain, high input impedance, low output impedance, and a wide bandwidth. It also has a large common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR) which means it can reject noise and interference in the input signal.

3. How does an op-amp work?

An op-amp works by taking the voltage difference between its two input terminals and amplifying it to a higher voltage at the output. It has a non-inverting input (+), an inverting input (-), and an output. The amplification is achieved through the use of transistors and feedback components within the op-amp circuit.

4. What are the common applications of op-amps?

Op-amps have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits, including voltage amplification, signal filtering, waveform generation, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and integration. They are also commonly used in audio and instrumentation circuits.

5. What are some important considerations when using op-amps?

When using op-amps, it is important to consider the power supply voltage, input and output impedance, frequency response, and temperature range. Op-amps can also have limitations in terms of maximum output voltage and current, and they may require external compensation to prevent oscillations. Proper circuit design and careful selection of op-amp parameters are important for optimal performance.