Fringes and Phase in Optics: Solving Problem 35.61

In summary, the conversation is about a problem 35.61 in a PDF document where the person is trying to find the number of fringes based on the extra phase accumulated in a glass rod per minute. They were able to get the correct answer of 22.7, but do not understand why their approach worked. They are seeking help from others to understand the fundamental concept.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all

Please take a look at problem 35.61 in this PDF (it is on page 5): http://physics.wustl.edu/classes/SP2009/212/homework/YF35.pdf

What I can do is to find the "extra" phase accumulated in the glass rod per minute. But I do not know how to transform this into a number of fringes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I got the answer 22.7, which is also correct. I got it by finding

(phase gained per minute) - (phase gained at T=20 degrees) / 2Pi.

But this was pure luck - I cannot see, why this gives me the correct answer.

Guys, I am sorry about doing this, but I really need help with this. This is such a fundamental thing that I must understand it. Can you give me a hand?

1. What are fringes in optics?

Fringes in optics refer to the patterns of light and dark bands that are created when light passes through a narrow slit or is diffracted by an object. These fringes are caused by the interference of light waves, where bright fringes occur when the waves are in phase and dark fringes occur when the waves are out of phase.

2. What is the phase of light?

The phase of light refers to the position of a light wave in its cycle. This can be described in terms of the angle between the wave and a reference point, or the number of wavelengths that have passed through a specific point. The phase of light is important in understanding how waves interfere with each other, and can be manipulated using various optical components.

3. How are fringes and phase related?

Fringes and phase are related because the fringes that are observed in optics are a result of changes in the phase of light. When light waves of different phases overlap, they can either interfere constructively or destructively, resulting in the formation of fringes. The distance between the fringes is directly related to the phase difference between the interfering waves.

4. What is the difference between optical path length and geometrical path length?

Optical path length refers to the distance that light travels through a medium, taking into account any changes in the refractive index of the medium. On the other hand, geometrical path length refers to the straight-line distance that light travels through a medium. These two lengths can differ when light travels through a medium with varying refractive index, causing changes in the phase of the light.

5. How can fringes and phase be used in practical applications?

Fringes and phase have many practical applications, such as in interferometry, where they are used to make precise measurements of distances and small changes in position. They are also used in optical microscopy, holography, and in the design of optical components such as lenses and mirrors. Additionally, understanding fringes and phase is crucial in fields such as astronomy, where they are used to analyze the properties of light and distant objects.