Solving a Puzzling Solar Radiation Problem

In summary, a person is studying for an exam and comes across a problem involving calculating the force exerted by solar radiation on the Earth. They use the equation for radiation pressure on a perfect absorber and consider the area of interest to be a circle. They are unsure of the correct formula to use and ask for help. Another person, Doc Al, clarifies that the area of interest is indeed a circle and this explains the discrepancy in their calculations.
Beer-monster
Hi guys

I'm flicking thorugh some past papers for an upcoming exam and came across this seemingly easy problem.

"The average intensity of solar radiation at the Earth is 1.4kW/m^2. Assuming the Earth is a perfect absorber, calculate the force exerted by the radiation on the surface of the Earth. The mean radius of the Earth is 6400 km"

Now I know that the radiation pressure on a perfect absorber is equal to the energy density, which is equal to the intensity divided by the speed of light.

[tex] P = U = \frac{I}{c} [/tex]

Given that P=F/A I get that the force should be.

[tex] F = \frac {IA}{c} = \frac {I 4\pi R^2}{c} [/tex]

Although it could be [tex] \frac {I 2\pi R^2}{c} [/tex]

As the sunlight only directly hits approximately half of the Earth's surface. But either way, when I plug in the numbers I don't get the answer my Lecturer gave of 600 MN.

I must be missing something, but I can't see it. If any of you guys can I'd appreciate it.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the sunlight is essentially parallel, the area of interest is that of a circle (not a hemisphere or sphere).

That makes sense, since I had noticed I was out by a factor of 4, I just couldn't come up with the physical meaning.

Thanks Doc Al

1. What is a "puzzling solar radiation problem"?

A puzzling solar radiation problem refers to a situation where the amount or distribution of solar radiation in a particular area is unexpected or difficult to explain. This can occur due to various factors such as changes in weather patterns, human activities, or natural phenomena.

2. How do scientists solve a puzzling solar radiation problem?

Scientists use a variety of methods to solve a puzzling solar radiation problem. This may include collecting and analyzing data from weather stations, satellite images, or other sources. They may also use mathematical models and simulations to understand the complex interactions between the sun, Earth's atmosphere, and other factors influencing solar radiation.

3. What are some common causes of puzzling solar radiation problems?

Some common causes of puzzling solar radiation problems include changes in cloud cover, atmospheric pollution, and variations in Earth's orbit or tilt. Human activities such as deforestation and urbanization can also affect the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface.

4. How important is it to solve puzzling solar radiation problems?

Solving puzzling solar radiation problems is important for several reasons. Solar radiation is a crucial source of energy for many natural processes and human activities, such as photosynthesis and solar power generation. Understanding and predicting it accurately can help us better manage resources and mitigate the impacts of climate change.

5. What are some future challenges in solving puzzling solar radiation problems?

As our climate and environment continue to change, new and more complex puzzling solar radiation problems may arise. Additionally, advancements in technology and data collection methods may present new challenges and opportunities for scientists to study and understand solar radiation. Collaborations between different fields of science, such as meteorology and physics, will also be essential in tackling these challenges.