Optimal Width of a rotating wheel

In summary, the discussion revolved around finding the optimal width of a wheel, represented by a cross, to generate the most power from wind. The width, measured along the z-axis, was determined to be a crucial factor in power generation as it affects both the weight of the wheel and the force of drag. The group also discussed the need to factor in axle friction in order to set up an equation for optimization.
lehnim
Given this setup
zACZOhH.png

note: i just created arbitrary values if it helps, if not working with variables to find a general solution works fine too
I am trying to find what the optimal width(would look like depth in the photo) of the wheel would be to generate the most power. I am stumped on how to begin the problem and am looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lehnim said:
Given this setup
zACZOhH.png

note: i just created arbitrary values if it helps, if not working with variables to find a general solution works fine too
I am trying to find what the optimal width(would look like depth in the photo) of the wheel would be to generate the most power. I am stumped on how to begin the problem and am looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It's not very clear what you are asking. I don't see a wheel, and which way is wide? Do you want a wheele that will be able to go down into that depression and come back out again? What makes one wheel size better than another?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It's not very clear what you are asking. I don't see a wheel, and which way is wide? Do you want a wheele that will be able to go down into that depression and come back out again? What makes one wheel size better than another?
Sorry for not being clear. The "wheel" is the cross, that is a side view. It rotates about its center point clockwise due to the wind. The width I am referring to would be into the page (what would be the z axis)

lehnim said:
Sorry for not being clear. The "wheel" is the cross, that is a side view. It rotates about its center point clockwise due to the wind. The width I am referring to would be into the page (what would be the z axis)
Hmm, that's not a very efficient way to generate power from the wind -- is that your intent? And for the most power generation given that side view, you would use an infinitely deep paddlewheel...

berkeman said:
Hmm, that's not a very efficient way to generate power from the wind -- is that your intent? And for the most power generation given that side view, you would use an infinitely deep paddlewheel...
I understand both points, but in non ideal circumstances there becomes a point where the friction from the weight of the wheel is so large that making it wider has diminishing returns, it is that width that i am trying to find.

So since this is for schoolwork, how do you think you should factor in axle friction in order to set up an equation that you can optimize?

berkeman said:
So since this is for schoolwork, how do you think you should factor in axle friction in order to set up an equation that you can optimize?

So i understand how to find friction because as width increases, so does weight, which means force of gravity goes up and thus kinetic friction. Would the other side of the equation be the force of drag which increases as width increases because surface area does?

1. What is the optimal width for a rotating wheel?

The optimal width for a rotating wheel depends on various factors such as the intended use, speed, and load capacity of the wheel. Generally, a wider wheel provides better stability and weight distribution, but it can also increase friction and decrease maneuverability. Therefore, the optimal width will vary depending on the specific application.

2. How does the width of a rotating wheel affect its performance?

The width of a rotating wheel directly affects its performance in terms of stability, weight distribution, and resistance to wear and tear. A wider wheel can distribute weight more evenly, reducing strain on the wheel and improving its durability. However, it can also increase rolling resistance and decrease maneuverability, which can impact overall performance.

3. Is there a standard width for rotating wheels?

No, there is no standard width for rotating wheels as it varies depending on the specific application and use. In some cases, a wider wheel may be more beneficial, while in others a narrower wheel may be preferred. It is important to consider the intended use and performance requirements when determining the optimal width for a rotating wheel.

4. How do I determine the optimal width for a rotating wheel?

To determine the optimal width for a rotating wheel, you should consider the intended use, load capacity, and speed of the wheel. You can also consult with experts or conduct experiments to find the most suitable width for your specific application. It is important to consider all factors and carefully evaluate the trade-offs between stability, maneuverability, and other performance factors.

5. Can the width of a rotating wheel be adjusted?

Yes, the width of a rotating wheel can be adjusted by changing the design or materials used. For example, a wheel with a wider rim can be used to increase the width, or a thinner tread can be used to decrease it. However, it is important to carefully consider the impact on performance and stability before making any adjustments to the wheel's width.