Organic Chemistry Textbook Recommendation for Math Student

In summary, the conversation is about recommended books for organic chemistry. The person asking is looking for a book to supplement or replace the required text by Solomons. They mention being a math student and looking for a book similar to those used in calculus like Courant, Apostol, or Spivak. Another person suggests McMurry as an easy and commonly used book, while also recommending Clayden as a supplement for beginners. They caution against using an extremely challenging book for introductory chemistry.
axeae
Hello

I am taking organic chemistry I and II this summer and our required text is by Solomons, is there a nice book that you guys recommend to replace/supplement this text?
I am a math student and it appears that the orgo books follow the same trend as calculus books (Stewart, Larson, etc..) so I'm looking for a Courant/Apostol/Spivak type text.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is only orgo 1 & 2. I found McMurry to be easy, but that's generally what most schools will use. Its sort of the "classic". As for immensly challenging books I don't know, nor do I think they would serve you well in introductory chem.

Get Clayden, as a beginner's supplement but NOT a beginner's introduction. McMurry is another clone out of the bunch.

1. What are the benefits of studying organic chemistry as a math student?

Studying organic chemistry can improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and logical reasoning skills. It also provides a strong foundation for understanding chemical reactions and their mechanisms, which can be useful in fields such as drug design, biochemistry, and materials science.

2. Can you recommend an organic chemistry textbook specifically for math students?

I would recommend "Organic Chemistry: A Short Course" by David J. Hart and Christopher M. Hadad. This textbook is designed for students with a strong background in mathematics and covers the fundamentals of organic chemistry in a concise and accessible manner.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement an organic chemistry textbook for math students?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as Khan Academy, ChemLibreTexts, and Organic Chemistry Tutor. These resources offer practice problems, video tutorials, and interactive quizzes to help reinforce concepts learned from the textbook.

4. Is it necessary for a math student to have prior knowledge of chemistry before studying organic chemistry?

While having a basic understanding of chemistry can be helpful, it is not necessary for a math student to have prior knowledge before studying organic chemistry. The textbook recommended for math students typically covers the fundamental concepts and assumes no prior knowledge of chemistry.

5. How can a math student effectively study and retain information from an organic chemistry textbook?

Some tips for studying organic chemistry as a math student include creating visual aids such as flowcharts and diagrams, practicing with sample problems, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and making connections to math concepts. It is also important to regularly review and reinforce concepts to aid in retention.