Naming Organic Compound: Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl

• Thread starter FaNgS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organic
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about identifying a compound using SpartanBuild and a picture. The compound is identified as a bispiro with a cyclopropyl and an ethyl substituent, and is also known as a decalin compound or bicyclo[4.4.0]decane. There is some disagreement about whether the compound should be called a spiro compound or not.
FaNgS
How do you name this compound??

I used SpartanBuild to draw it and I copied the picture

Please check the link below:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s38/InsertMe/unknowncompound.jpg [Broken]

I'm thinking its a bispiro with a cyclopropyl and an ethyl substituent

Yours truly,
FaNgS

PS: Its only one compound, the picture on the left is just a rotation of the one on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
some help is greatly appreciated

anyone

FYI - I can't see the picture you link to there, but I'm at work and they block some sites weird...

It looks like a decalin compound, also known as a bicyclo[4.4.0]decane. That should get you started.
Now you need to figure out the numbering system for this decahydronaphthalene compound.

Last edited:
shouldn't it be a spiro compound?

i'm not sure but we just took this in class this week and we've been taught that if the carbon atoms are shared its supposed to be called a spiro compound.

spiro compounds have only 1 carbon common to both rings. This has two.

1. What is the structure of Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl?

Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl is an organic compound with a molecular formula of C10H14. It consists of two cyclopropyl rings connected by a single ethyl group.

2. How is Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl named?

According to the IUPAC naming system, the prefix "bispiro" indicates that there are two spiro centers in the compound. The word "cyclopropyl" indicates the presence of a cyclopropyl ring, and "ethyl" indicates the presence of an ethyl group. Therefore, the name "Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl" accurately reflects the structure of the compound.

3. What are the physical properties of Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl?

Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl is a colorless liquid with a boiling point of approximately 120°C. It has a density of 0.85 g/mL and is insoluble in water, but soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol and acetone.

4. What are the common uses of Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl?

Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl is commonly used as a building block in organic synthesis. It can be used to create more complex molecules, such as pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals. It is also used as a solvent in various industries.

5. Is Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl toxic?

There is limited information available on the toxicity of Bispiro Cyclopropyl Ethyl. However, as with any chemical, it should be handled with caution and proper safety measures should be taken when working with it.