How do I name a cycloheptane with three substituents using organic nomenclature?

In summary, the problem is naming an organic compound with a cycloheptane base and three substituents: hydroxy, bromine, and isopropyl. The priority for naming is determined by the functional groups, with alcohol being the highest priority. The carbons are numbered in a way that the highest priority functional group gets the lowest number, and the substituents are listed in alphabetical order when writing the name.
I_LuV_FiZiX

Homework Statement

Hello all.

Im not sure how to get the image of the organic compound i need to name on here, but I think I can do a good job of describing it. The compound I need to name is a cycloheptane with three substituents on it. These substituents are bonded to three consecutive carbons. They are: a hydroxy group, a bromine, and an isopropyl (in that order going clockwise).

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem that I am having is the order in which to name these substituents and the numbers to assign to them. Would it be bromine, isopropyl, and then hydroxy? ie does the isopropyl take priority alphabetically over the hydroxy group because of the Iso?

Also, I am confused as to what numbers to assign. Do i have to continue clockwise from the first substituent that I name (ie 1,2,7), or can i put something like 2,3,1?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that functional groups can either be named as prefixes or suffixes. Generally, only one functional group gets to be named as a suffix (note: double- and triple-bonds are always named as suffixes in addition to the highest priority functional group). Which functional group gets named as a suffix depends on the priority (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUPAC_nomenclature_of_organic_chemistry#Order_of_precedence_of_groups).

In this case, both halogens and alkyl substituents are always named as prefixes, so the highest priority functional group is the alcohol. So, you get cycloheptanol as your base name. Now, you number the carbons in a way that the highest priority functional group gets the lowest number (in this case 1) and the next numbered substituent gets the lowest possible number.

When writing the name, the prefixed substituents are listed in alphabetical order.

I would suggest using the IUPAC nomenclature system to name this compound. According to the IUPAC rules, the order of naming substituents is based on their functional group priority, not alphabetical order. In this case, the order would be bromine, hydroxy, and then isopropyl. The isopropyl group takes priority over the hydroxy group because it has a higher functional group priority.

As for assigning numbers, the IUPAC system follows a locant numbering system, where the substituents are numbered based on their position on the parent chain. In this case, the parent chain is cycloheptane and the substituents are at positions 1, 2, and 3. The numbers should be assigned in a way that gives the substituents the lowest possible numbers, so the correct numbering would be 1-bromo-2-hydroxy-3-isopropylcycloheptane.

I hope this helps with your organic nomenclature homework. Remember to always follow the IUPAC rules for accurate and consistent naming of organic compounds. Good luck!

1. What is organic nomenclature?

Organic nomenclature is a system of naming chemical compounds that are primarily composed of carbon and hydrogen atoms. It is used to identify and differentiate between different organic molecules.

2. Why is organic nomenclature important?

Organic nomenclature is important because it allows scientists to communicate and understand the structures and properties of different organic compounds. It also helps to avoid confusion and ensure accuracy in scientific research and communication.

3. How is organic nomenclature different from inorganic nomenclature?

Organic nomenclature is different from inorganic nomenclature in that it follows a different set of rules and conventions. Organic compounds are named based on the structure of their carbon backbone, while inorganic compounds are named based on their chemical composition.

4. What are some common prefixes and suffixes used in organic nomenclature?

Some common prefixes used in organic nomenclature include "meth-" for one carbon, "eth-" for two carbons, and "prop-" for three carbons. Some common suffixes include "-ane" for single bonds, "-ene" for double bonds, and "-yne" for triple bonds.

5. How can I learn organic nomenclature?

The best way to learn organic nomenclature is through practice and familiarization with the rules and conventions. There are also many online resources and textbooks available to help you learn and understand organic nomenclature.