Period of Oscillation for a Hoop of Mass 0.420 kg & Radius 0.130 m

In summary, the period of small oscillations for a hoop suspended as a pendulum is T = 2pi (2g/3r) and the rotational inertia should be checked for accuracy. For the problem involving a mass suspended from a spring, the energy decreases by half, not the amplitude, and the correct formula for the period should be T = 2pi * Sqrt(3/2 r/g). Additionally, the rotational inertia for the ring should be checked to ensure it is appropriate for the given problem.
squib
A hoop of radius 0.130 m and mass 0.420 kg is suspended by a point on its perimeter as shown in the figure. If the hoop is allowed to oscillate side to side as a pendulum, what is the period of small oscillations?

T = 2pi (mgl/I)^.5

I assume that l = r, since center of mass is in the middle of the hoop.
I = 3mr^2/2

So T = 2pi(2g/3r)

Also tried with I = mr^2/2 in case I'm misunderstanding the problem and it is oscillating in the other direction, but this did not work either.

Anyone see my error?

Next:
A mass M is suspended from a spring and oscillates with a period of 0.860 s. Each complete oscillation results in an amplitude reduction of a factor of 0.965 due to a small velocity dependent frictional effect. Calculate the time it takes for the total energy of the oscillator to decrease to 0.500 of its initial value.

Tried .965^t = .5, then t = log(.5)/log(.965) but this didn't work... any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
squib said:
A hoop of radius 0.130 m and mass 0.420 kg is suspended by a point on its perimeter as shown in the figure. If the hoop is allowed to oscillate side to side as a pendulum, what is the period of small oscillations?

T = 2pi (mgl/I)^.5

I assume that l = r, since center of mass is in the middle of the hoop.
I = 3mr^2/2

So T = 2pi(2g/3r)

Also tried with I = mr^2/2 in case I'm misunderstanding the problem and it is oscillating in the other direction, but this did not work either.

Anyone see my error?
Two problems:
Check your formula for the period of a pendulum (you have terms upside down).
Check your value for the rotational inertia.

squib said:
A mass M is suspended from a spring and oscillates with a period of 0.860 s. Each complete oscillation results in an amplitude reduction of a factor of 0.965 due to a small velocity dependent frictional effect. Calculate the time it takes for the total energy of the oscillator to decrease to 0.500 of its initial value.

Tried .965^t = .5, then t = log(.5)/log(.965) but this didn't work... any other suggestions?
How does amplitude relate to total energy? (It's the energy that decreases by half, not the amplitude.)

I can't seem to find the right I... isn't 3mr^2/2 right for a ring rotated about a line tangent to the circle?

I tried I = (MR^2)/2 + MR^2 = (3/2)MR^2

T = 2pi * Sqrt(3/2 MR^2/MgR) = 2pi * Sqrt((3/2)r/g))

This didn't work is there something I missed?

squib said:
I can't seem to find the right I... isn't 3mr^2/2 right for a ring rotated about a line tangent to the circle?
Ah... here's where a picture would help. If the ring rotates through an axis tangent to the circle, then that would be correct. On the other hand, if the ring rotated on an axis perpendicular to its plane, the rotational inertia would be: I = 2mr^2. (That's how I interpreted the problem, but you are the one with the diagram!)

FAQ: Period of Oscillation for a Hoop of Mass 0.420 kg & Radius 0.130 m

1. What is the equation for calculating the period of oscillation for a hoop?

The equation is T = 2π√(mgh/I), where T is the period of oscillation, m is the mass of the hoop, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the hoop's center of mass, and I is the moment of inertia of the hoop.

2. How do I determine the moment of inertia for a hoop?

The moment of inertia for a hoop can be calculated using the equation I = mr², where m is the mass of the hoop and r is the radius of the hoop.

3. Can the period of oscillation be affected by the mass of the hoop?

Yes, the period of oscillation is directly proportional to the mass of the hoop. This means that as the mass of the hoop increases, the period of oscillation will also increase.

4. How does the radius of the hoop affect the period of oscillation?

The radius of the hoop does affect the period of oscillation. As the radius increases, the moment of inertia also increases, resulting in a longer period of oscillation.

5. Is the period of oscillation affected by the height of the hoop's center of mass?

Yes, the period of oscillation is inversely proportional to the height of the hoop's center of mass. This means that as the height increases, the period of oscillation decreases.

Back