Output voltage of differential amplifier

In summary: You have to consider both the differential and common mode gains in your final calculation. So, in summary, the output voltage of the differential amplifier with a differential gain of 100 and common mode gain of 0.1, when given input voltages of v1=2+0.55sinwt and v2=0.5-0.005sinwt, would be v0=100(1.5+0.55sinwt)+0.1(1.75+0.545sinwt) = 157.545sinwt.
pforpashya

Homework Statement

Find output voltage of differential amplifier having differential gain of 100 and common mode gain 0.1 if input voltages are v1=2+0.55sinwt and v2=0.5-0.005sinwt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well, from sedra smith book i found the formula for output book

v0= Ad(v1-v2)+Acm(v1+v2)/2

if i have to subtract two AC signals with dc offsets i get v1-v2= 1.5+0.55sinwt am i correct?

so can right it as 2.11sinwt
again for Acm i have to take average of two signals which will be 1.25+0.272sinwt

i have to divide it by 2 hence it becomes 1.522sinwt

the final ans i am getting is 211.15sinwt am i correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
pforpashya said:

Homework Statement

Find output voltage of differential amplifier having differential gain of 100 and common mode gain 0.1 if input voltages are v1=2+0.55sinwt and v2=0.5-0.005sinwt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well, from sedra smith book i found the formula for output book

v0= Ad(v1-v2)+Acm(v1+v2)/2

if i have to subtract two AC signals with dc offsets i get v1-v2= 1.5+0.55sinwt am i correct?

Your sin term is off by about 1%.
so can right it as 2.11sinwt
?

again for Acm i have to take average of two signals which will be 1.25+0.272sinwt

i have to divide it by 2 hence it becomes 1.522sinwt

?
You don't divide the average by 2 again! And what happened to the dc term?

the final ans i am getting is 211.15sinwt am i correct?[/QUOTE]

Don't think so.
Your starting formula is correct but then you seem to be floundering with the math.

What is the output voltage of a differential amplifier?

The output voltage of a differential amplifier is the difference between the two input voltages multiplied by the gain of the amplifier. It can be either positive or negative depending on the polarity of the inputs.

How is the output voltage of a differential amplifier calculated?

The output voltage of a differential amplifier can be calculated using the formula Vout = (V2 - V1) x A, where V2 is the voltage at the non-inverting input, V1 is the voltage at the inverting input, and A is the gain of the amplifier.

What factors affect the output voltage of a differential amplifier?

The output voltage of a differential amplifier is affected by the input voltages, the gain of the amplifier, and the characteristics of the components used in the circuit such as resistors and transistors. Temperature and noise can also have an impact on the output voltage.

How can the output voltage of a differential amplifier be optimized?

The output voltage of a differential amplifier can be optimized by carefully selecting the values of the resistors and transistors used in the circuit to achieve the desired gain. The input voltages should also be within the recommended range to avoid distortion. Additionally, using high-quality components and minimizing noise in the circuit can also improve the output voltage.

Can the output voltage of a differential amplifier be negative?

Yes, the output voltage of a differential amplifier can be negative if the voltage at the inverting input is greater than the voltage at the non-inverting input. This will result in a negative output voltage, which can be useful in certain applications such as amplifying signals with opposite polarity.