Parallel light beams converge?

In summary, according to General Relativity, two initially parallel light beams will converge due to their energy curving space-time. This is because light has energy and momentum, which slightly curves space, causing the beams to be attracted to each other. This can be seen in a flat universe as well, where the beams would appear as two parallel lines at 45 degrees to the space axis on a space-time diagram. This phenomenon also applies to light beams traveling in opposite directions, as they attract each other. However, it is important to note that the light itself cannot act as a gravitational source, but it can deliver mass/energy to objects which then act as gravitational sources.
johne1618
Would General Relativity predict that two initially parallel light beams will converge due to their energy curving space-time?

John

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got it right.

Light has energy and momentum and so the beams are ever so slightly attracted to each other...as if they had mass. They will ever so slightly curve space.

I assume you are thinking about a flat universe, one without mass or energy, to obstruct the
attraction beteen your two test beams. In other words, before you fire the two test beams, everything is flat.

Thanks for the link to previous posts on this subject. Yes I was thinking of a flat universe.

In terms of a simple space-time diagram two parallel beams of light are represented by two parallel diagonal lines at 45 degrees to the horizontal space axis. No signal carrying an influence (at the speed of light) from the first beam could reach the second beam because it would just travel along the same path as the emitter.

Don't know if this would stop linearly propagating light beams interacting.

A diagram would help me get this point across I think!

Regarding Ben Crowell's post#4, I presume that conditions would be energetic enough in the early universe that photons could spontaneously decay into matter and antimatter that definitely is a source of gravity as it has rest mass.

Last edited:
This is correct, light beams create gravity.

However, when it was discussed here about 1 or 2 y ago, I remember that someone (with much deeper knowledge of GR - I am just a layman) told me that:

2 parallel light beams going in the same direction do not attract (even they attract the surrounding objects)
2 parallel light beams going in opposite directions do attract.

The first fact might be clear if we look at 2 massive objects, separated by some distance, flying in the same direction. In their inertial system they collide, say, in 1s. For an external observer, this process would take longer because of the time dilation. The faster 2 objects are flying the longer it takes. You can think about the case N1 as a limit where v --> c (it takes forever)

P.S.
Interesting problem: what is Jean's mass for the light itself? :)

Last edited:
Dmitry67 said:
This is correct, light beams create gravity.

However, when it was discussed here about 1 or 2 y ago, I remember that someone (with much deeper knowledge of GR - I am just a layman) told me that:

2 parallel light beams going in the same direction do not attract (even they attract the surrounding objects)
2 parallel light beams going in opposite directions do attract.

The first fact might be clear if we look at 2 massive objects, separated by some distance, flying in the same direction. In their inertial system they collide, say, in 1s. For an external observer, this process would take longer because of the time dilation. The faster 2 objects are flying the longer it takes. You can think about the case N1 as a limit where v --> c (it takes forever)

P.S.
Interesting problem: what is Jean's mass for the light itself? :)

Thanks very much for the reply. I like your thought experiment.

As far as I can see if a pulse of light is traveling towards a massive object then no gravitational influence from the pulse can reach it before the light itself. The light can deliver mass/energy to the object which then acts as a gravitational source but the light itself can't act as a source.

I'm only a layman so the above is just a guess.

What is the concept of parallel light beams converging?

The concept of parallel light beams converging refers to the phenomenon where two or more parallel light beams come together at a single point, known as the focal point, after passing through a lens or other optical device.

How does parallel light beams converging occur?

Parallel light beams converge due to the curvature of the lens or the shape of the optical device they pass through. This curvature causes the light rays to bend towards each other, eventually meeting at a single point.

What is the significance of parallel light beams converging?

Parallel light beams converging is a fundamental concept in optics and is used in a wide range of applications, such as in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. It allows for the manipulation and focusing of light, enabling us to see distant objects and magnify small ones.

What factors affect the convergence of parallel light beams?

The convergence of parallel light beams is affected by the curvature and material of the lens or optical device, as well as the wavelength and intensity of the light beams. The distance between the light source and the lens also plays a role in the convergence.

Can parallel light beams converge without a lens?

No, parallel light beams cannot converge without a lens or other optical device. The curvature and material of the lens are necessary for the bending and focusing of the light rays. Without a lens, the light beams would continue to travel in a straight line, without converging.