Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parameters of engine design

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    hey i am engineering student i am interested in designing a ic engine. I want to know necessaries and parameters for designing a engine

hey please provide some reference for it

thank you:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.
    That will depend on the application of your IC engine.
    Exactly what do you want to use the engine for?

4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    automotives like cars

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  5. Mar 13, 2014 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

6. Mar 18, 2014 #5
    i am not specific about power sir,

i know about basic operation of an 4-stroke gasoline engine.
    can i have some material to learn in depth about automotive engines

7. Mar 18, 2014 #6
    Thank you again sir

8. Mar 19, 2014 #7

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Since you have some knowledge of IC engines, it is a case of building on that knowledge.
    We cannot name one general document unless you can be much more specific about your stage of learning.

I really think the best way to advance your interest is to attend an engineering library or to google search the particular topics that interest you now.

It is better to ask questions on PF about specific design details, rather than about broad generalities.

9. Mar 31, 2014 #8

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. May 25, 2015 #9
    There is a book in the automotive industry commonly referred to as the "engine bible" call "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals" by John B. Heywood. It is a great read, and it covers Otto cycle and Diesel engines. It is a common book for course work at universities and would likely be found in a university library. I hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook