Are Partial Derivatives Commutative for Functions of Multiple Variables?

In summary, the statement is true for any two real numbers, but it may not hold true if the derivatives are acting on functions other than regular numbers.
Kyle.Nemeth

Homework Statement

I would just like to know if this statement is true.

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac {\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial g}{\partial x} \frac {\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've thought about this a bit and I haven't come to a conclusion. Thanks for the help! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it depends on ##f## and ##g## and not so on the partial derivative. If ##f## and ##g## are "normal" functions like ##f(x)=x^2## for example, then the statement is true. On the other hand, if they represent matrices then generally they wouldn't commute, ie. ##f\cdot g\neq g\cdot f## because ##g## and ##f## do not commute generally.

Kyle.Nemeth said:

Homework Statement

I would just like to know if this statement is true.

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac {\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial g}{\partial x} \frac {\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've thought about this a bit and I haven't come to a conclusion. Thanks for the help! :smile:

If you set ##A = \partial g/\partial x## and ##B = \partial^2 f/\partial x^2##, you have written ##A B = B A##, which is true for any two real numbers.

However, if what you really meant was to have
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( g \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \right) [/tex]
on one side and
[tex] \frac{\partial^2} {\partial x^2} \left( f \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} \right) [/tex]
on the other, then that is a much different question.

Which did you mean?

I intended for the original question you had answered about [tex] AB=BA [/tex] for any real number. I was assuming that the second derivative had acted on f and the first derivative had acted on g.

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is represented by the symbol ∂ (pronounced "partial").

What are the properties of partial derivatives?

There are several properties of partial derivatives, including the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These properties allow for the calculation of partial derivatives for more complex functions.

How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, while a partial derivative calculates the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all others constant. In other words, a partial derivative is a more specific type of derivative that is used when a function has multiple variables.

What are some real-life applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in modeling and optimizing systems with multiple variables, such as in thermodynamics, financial portfolio optimization, and chemical reactions.

How can I calculate partial derivatives?

To calculate a partial derivative, you can use the properties of partial derivatives or the definition of a partial derivative, which involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the variable approaches zero. There are also online calculators and software programs that can calculate partial derivatives for more complex functions.