Partial Derivatives Homework: Estimate Txy(6,4)

In summary, we have a table of temperatures, T(x,y), with x and y measured in meters. To estimate the value of Txy(6,4), we use the formula Txy = [Tx(6,4) - Tx(6,6)]/2. To get the i and j components of u, we use the dot product formula with u = (1/\sqrt{2})[1,1].
joemama69

Homework Statement

x & y measured in meters. Temperature is T(x,y) Temperatures are noted in table
y= 2 4 6
x
4 74 72 68
6 87 80 75
8 90 86 80

Estimate the value of Txy(6,4)

&

Tu, where u = (i + j)/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] I do no understand how to get the i and j components

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tx(6,4) = (86-80)/(8-6) = 3
Tx(6,6) = (80-75)/(8-6) = 2.5

Txy = [Tx(6,4) - Tx(6,6)]/2 = [3 - 2.5]/2 = .25

Physics news on Phys.org

To get the i and j components, you can use the unit vector notation to represent the direction of u. The unit vector in the i direction is [1,0] and the unit vector in the j direction is [0,1]. So, u can be expressed as u = (1/\sqrt{2})[1,1].

To get the i and j components, we can use the dot product formula: u · v = |u||v|cosθ, where u and v are vectors, |u| and |v| are the magnitudes of the vectors, and θ is the angle between the vectors. Since u is a unit vector, |u| = 1, so the formula becomes u · v = |v|cosθ.

Since u · [1,0] = |[1,0]|cos(45) = 1/\sqrt{2}, the i component of u is 1/\sqrt{2}. Similarly, the j component of u is also 1/\sqrt{2}. Therefore, u = (1/\sqrt{2})[1,1].

Related to Partial Derivatives Homework: Estimate Txy(6,4)

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by symbols such as ∂/∂x or ∂f/∂x.

2. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you first take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable in question, treating all other variables as constants. This means that you differentiate the function as you normally would, but replace any instances of the variable in question with 1. This gives you the partial derivative of the function with respect to that variable.

3. What does Txy(6,4) mean in the context of partial derivatives?

In this context, Txy(6,4) represents the partial derivative of the function T with respect to both the variables x and y, evaluated at the point (6,4). This means that the values of x and y are plugged into the function, and then the partial derivative is taken.

4. How can I use partial derivatives to estimate a function at a specific point?

To estimate a function at a specific point using partial derivatives, you can first calculate the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. Then, you can plug in the values of the variables at the given point into these partial derivatives to get an estimate of the function's rate of change at that point.

5. What is the significance of calculating Txy(6,4) in this homework?

In this homework, calculating Txy(6,4) allows us to estimate the rate of change of the function T at the point (6,4) with respect to both the variables x and y. This can help us understand the behavior of the function at this specific point and make predictions about its behavior in the surrounding area.